Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrating from one HDD to another....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

So, it is a long story, but I have all of my data stored on a 8 gb hard drive, and I have a brand new 160 GB hard drive installed with nothing on it...

i would like to move everything from my current hard drive to my new one, and have the new one be able to boot, and be identical to the old one...

I have --->0<----- disk issues...all I want to do is eliminate the size issues....

I have both on the same IDE cable, and the new one is the slave to the old one.....

I have tried using cloning programs like Norton ghost -at least a dos version of it - But, I continue to have issues,

I tried to simply select the old drive as the source, and copy an identical image to the new, and it said that it had some issue, and closed, and deleted the partition that I had....

Thank you to anyone that is able to help me directly or by pointing me to a guide...
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:41 PM

How are the drives formatted? NTFS, Fat32, etc? What's the cluster size on each disk?

A lot of questions I know, but important. You may want to format new 160 GB HDD into several
Partitions , (4) and use one Extended Partition in addition to the primary partition for a total of
5 logical partitions. Format these partitions with the same cluster size and file system as the original
Hard drive.

The Primary Partition should be the exact size to match the original drive to eliminate file structure problems
when copying the image.

This might be easier to to by plugging both drive into another computer Via USB adapter's and format them
with your cloning software in that manner.

#3 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

How are the drives formatted? NTFS, Fat32, etc? What's the cluster size on each disk?

A lot of questions I know, but important. You may want to format new 160 GB HDD into several
Partitions , (4) and use one Extended Partition in addition to the primary partition for a total of
5 logical partitions. Format these partitions with the same cluster size and file system as the original
Hard drive.

The Primary Partition should be the exact size to match the original drive to eliminate file structure problems
when copying the image.

This might be easier to to by plugging both drive into another computer Via USB adapter's and format them
with your cloning software in that manner.

uhhh....they are both formatted to NTFS...at the default windows XP Pro Cluster size...I formated each drive on the same system with the same OS...all the settings should be correct...do you know of any complete step by step cloning guides....thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

To clone a partition...you need to use the proper software.

What version of Ghost do you have?

Did you read the instructions for that particular version?

Louis

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

I have to agree with Luis as there's nothing more important that having the "Proper" software, and reading the manual.

Which can be found here:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/pro...?pvid=nghost_14

Not the right version? Simply perform a search and you should be set.

Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users