Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't play DVD's

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Doggoneit

Doggoneit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hi my computer is a rather old Micro Star (Medion) from PC World, the PC MT5 type MED MT 163, the motherboard is MS-6701, Socket 478 P4 CPU 2.66GHz, with 2 GB ram. I recently upgraded my memory and HDD storage with a TB drive. After saving all I could on the new drive (unfortunately not ghosting, didnít know how) I reformatted my c drive upgrading to XP Professional, Office Enterprise 2007. I then became aware that both of my two optical drives (one a dvd rom which came with the computer model No DHI-G40 and one I installed some time ago a Pioneer DVD R/RW model No DVR-109) would only play CDís and not DVDís. I havenít tried burning any DVDís or CDís as I was waiting to get this sorted out before installing new burning software. I like Roxio and want to get a new version but donít know which version to go for.

To date I have upgraded the firmware on the Pioneer with :thumbsup: DVR109_FW158EU, tired to download a video decoder which is showing up with a yellow exclamation mark and uninstalled my optical drives, shut down and restarted and my computer found them but no difference. In device manager my optical drives show up correctly labeled DVD ROM and DVD R/RW but in another program (Your PC) I saved before formatting, which seems to interrogate the system they show up as CD ROMís.

PS. I am now running Windows Media 10 which I wasnít before the reformatting.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

Please try the steps listed here. I know it does not match exactly, but this have fixed Optical Drive issues for me in the past

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

This particular fix won't hurt anything.

Warning, Please back up the Windows Registry Prior to performing these steps!

Edited by RandomUser, 08 December 2008 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users