Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to internet. odd problem.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 boobaloo

boobaloo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

i recently reinstalled windows. first things first, i needed to connect to the internet. i installed my adapter, and then detected my home network. but, after detecting and pressing connect, then inputing the hex key, it does the usual "aquiring network address" for 30 seconds but then fails out. i attempted to repair the connection, but it couldnt complete "renewing the ip adress". so whats wrong? why no internet? is there a problem with the ip address. thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

Did you install the drivers for the NIC?

If so, they can be corrupted. I'd try removing the one in (if they are), then reinstalling anew.

Louis

#3 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

have you tried the filter settings from within the modem/router? My XP wasn't surfing last time I tweaked and I wound up having to manually adjust my router filter to allow mac and IP...dunno why as that's the portal, but that fixed it.

btw: what's your hardware (modem/router-wise)?

Edited by TSalarek, 08 December 2008 - 06:56 PM.

#4 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

ok im good with computers but not that savvy. wat is an NIC? and TSal'(dont know what to call it.)arek, if you're asking the company, my modem is linksys and my router is netgear. the computer hooked up to both of those is downstairs, with internet. the one im having trouble with is upstairs, and im connecting with a USB "internet reciever"(dont know what to call it.) it is also netgear.

Edited by boobaloo, 08 December 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#5 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

NIC = Network Interface Card

Are you using a linksys wireless router? If so changing the SSID name of the router from the generic "linksys" can cure many problems.

If you do indeed own a wireless one and you don't know how to change the name please respond and I will walk you through it.

#6 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

no. the router is netgear. as is the wireless adapter.

#7 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:50 PM

http://www.lycoming.edu/acad/Netgear%20Wir...ter%20Setup.htm

Please read the following article and change the SSID name

#8 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:29 PM

wait, hold on. is the SSID name essentially just the name of my network? like if you search for networks on another computer you'll see the SSID? if so, i changed that a while back.

#9 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

1.A. so you're trying to connect wirelessly or wired?

1.B. I'm assuming the one downstairs is a desktop wired to the router, is the upstairs a desktop or a laptop?

2. I'm guessing your trying for wireless with a laptop as that USB Internet receiver sounds like a Wi-Fi stick

3. modem downstairs is Liksys, router downstairs is Netgear, and USB receiver upstairs is Netgear...right?

Edited by TSalarek, 08 December 2008 - 08:48 PM.

#10 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

same concept, except backwards. i have a laptop downstairs wired to the internet. im attempting to connect a desktop upstairs using the "wi-fi" stick.

#11 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

O_O..hoooo....ok...

from the sound of the original post, this set-up worked before the reinstall....the link in #7 lists how to acees the admin function for the router and also lists MAC filter adjusts in step 8. You'll have to know the MAC and prolly IP of the upstairs in order to add it in to the "allow" in the filter.

to find MAC/IP/etc:

start - run - type: cmd - ok = opens a DOS interface (aka Command Prompt)

type: ipconfig/all

hit enter. once it's done generating you'll have all the IP, MAC, etc that you'll need to configure the filter

#12 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:59 PM

ok well heres what i did. the laptop downstairs is usually on a table wired to the internet. but sometimes we take it off and use wireless instead. so, on the netgear page, i added the laptop and my desktop upstairs, then applied the settings. now, not only can my desktop still connect. but whenever i go wireless with the laptop, it cant connect either. what went wrong?

#13 sopcannon

sopcannon

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

have u tried leaving your router open with no protection then trying to connect then re doing the hex key when you can connect whilst using the computer you had problems with?

#14 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:20 PM

it's generally not a good idea to use a laptop as a server/gateway, though it has been done successfully.

reset everything on the router. rebuild the network from scratch, and when it gives you the option: make a "additional user disk" to copy the settings to the second comp and see if that does it.

#15 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:30 PM

ok how do i reset everything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users