Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up repair is checking your system for problems. . .

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ricxta

Ricxta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

Everything was working fine with my laptop, had just installed some new antivirus software and ran a full scan and everything was fine. A couple days ago I powered up and received this pop up stating that "Start up repair is checking your system for problems." Then it says that start up cannot automatically fix your problem. Sounds like the same thing that another poster has in the "Major Problem" topic, but I don't really understand the fix. I think he is saying to use a reboot disc to repair? The computer will not boot is basically the problem. I would appreciate any suggestions. . . Thanks, Rc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

what was the AV you installed?

and do you have basic hardware specs? HD size and amount available, RAM,and processor ...just to make sure it's adequate for VISTA.

did yours come with restore disks or are you "on board" recovery?

Did this comp come with VISTA or was it upgraded? if upgraded what was the original OS?

#3 you the dog3

you the dog3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

This was sort of like my problem about a week ago and this might not work.
First off, put in your windows vista operating disc (every computer that has it will have one of these) its a pukish green, brown color, into your cd drive. Then shut down your computer and restart it. When you first start it, like right when you start it, press F12 and keep pressing it like tapping it. Then go to "Boot CD drive" or something close to it, its the 3rd option down in the first set of choices. Then a screen will come up, the background is the Vista background. Then choose the option of "Repair". Then go to the option of "Set back to date" or something like that its under "Start up Repair". Then you can set it back to any date of a major download and you will not lose any of your information that was created before the date you reset it back to.

#4 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the step-by-step Dog, but let's save an OS restore for the end, ok? Make sure that the "Anti-virus" is legit and not itself malware and maybe try a roll-back...

If it won't boot normally, try getting it into safe mode. On a Compaq hit ESC then select Advanced Booot, on most other systems hit F8 (though some may want F2, F5, or F6)

See also: How to Start in Safe Mode (multi WIN OS) @ BC

Edited by TSalarek, 09 December 2008 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users