Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Active SMART

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pickums1283

Pickums1283

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

I recently downloaded Active SMART to get a rough check up on my hard drive since it is pushing almost 5 or 6 years old. Everything came up good and it says no normal attributes were detected and my drive seems to be functioning normally. Disk health and disk performance are green-lighted as good and temp averages 29 to 32 degrees celsius. Hard drive is a Western Digital Protege WD800EB. I used Western Digital's hard drive test as well and both the quick and long test were passed.

All of my attributes have maintained an OK status. But when I go under "More Info About This Attribute", I noticed something under Attribute Flags that is confusing me. It states "PW: indicates a pre-failure condition (caused by exceeded threshold) where imminent loss of data is being predicted". It has been stated in Raw Read Error Rate, Spin Up Time, Reallocated Sectors Count, Seek Error Rate, Spin Try Count, Recalibration Retries, and Write Error Rate. I am confused as to what it means and why it is listed there. Here is a picture:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/MM...ActiveSMART.jpg

The circled red area is what I am referring to. What I do not understand is, is it a warning in reference to my specific hard drive or is it listed there as a what would show up if something was wrong, e.g. would it be listed next to one of the numbers in the area circled blue? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

One other thing that you can do is to enable the SMART feature in the BIOS. If the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and active SMART both indicate that there are no problems then I wouldn't worry about it. The fact that a hdd has moving parts and will eventually fail is the reality of the situation. You should back up all of you important files to removable media such as CDs, DVDs, flash drive, or another hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Pickums1283

Pickums1283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for replying. Sorry it took me a little longer to get back to you.

Back-ups I am on top of. I crashed my computer with the Monster.com virus back in 2006, so I definitely make sure I keep things backed-up: several CD-Rs, 2 USB drives, online storage, files in email, files on photo storage sites, files kept on 2 other computers, etc. It's probably to the point of a bit obsessive, but my files are important to me.

I did go into BIOS and went under every single category, yet I could not find anything even remotely related to SMART. Is it turned on under BIOS or under some other way? My computer is an eMachines t2792, if that is any help.

Active SMART has been off of the wall today. The Seek Error Rate has been going up and down by about 50%. Going from 200 to 100 and back to 200 and then down to 100 again. It still is marked as OK, but I am wondering why such huge drops and increases are occuring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users