Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying explorer.exe crash whenever I close a folder

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 klimowicz

klimowicz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

I've had this problem for about a month now. Whenever I close a folder, on the desktop or from another storage device, explorer.exe will generate an error report and restart.

Sometimes, explorer.exe won't reopen, and is replaced by a "My Documents" window, and I am forced to run Task Manager. When this happens, I notice that there are two explorer.exe processes running in Task Manager.

I've tried chkdsk, sfc /scannow & using the Windows XP installation disc to repair the issue (as suggested in other threads), but it hasn't changed anything. I have A main HDD which has about 12GB space, a second internal drive which has a tiny 2GB space & and an external partitioned drive which has about 50GB combined space. I can't say that I had a problem before I upgraded to sp3, but the problem is still there when I rolled back to sp2.

My Specs are:
Windows XP Home Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ @ 2.1Ghz
1536MB RAM
DirectX 9.0c

If anyone requires any more information, or if I need to download and run any programs, please let me know. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

It could be Malware that's causing this problem. Have you done any scans?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 klimowicz

klimowicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:48 PM

I've done a Malwarebytes scan, and from what I remember, malware was found and removed. However, the problem was immediately still evident.

EDIT: I haven't done one for a while, so I've started one right now.

Edited by klimowicz, 08 December 2008 - 04:59 PM.

#4 Loctite

Loctite

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

I had a similar problem that caused the same thing. It turned out to be a program I had installed on a "30 Trial" basis. Seems to me it was some type of "File Converter" that was accessible from the right-click context menu. After the "30 Days" had expired, the program would no longer run, but it was apparently still affecting Windows Explorer. I removed the program, cleaned the registry and it was fine after that.

#5 klimowicz

klimowicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:58 AM

Thanks Budapest. Malwarebytes found two instances Trojan.Vundo, which were quarantined and deleted. So far this morning, I have not had an issue, fingers crossed.

Loctite, I haven't got any programs in the right-click menu which weren't there before, but I just ran a Registry Mechanic scan which found 1200+ issues! One of which was the location of the Trojan.Vundo. Hopefully this means that I'm rid of the problem entirely. I give it a little longer before I uncross my fingers, though. Cheers guys.

#6 klimowicz

klimowicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:37 AM

Unfortunately, the problem hasn't completely gone. It was fine for a few hours, but when I closed My Pictures, it did not crash but explorer.exe showed another error report. I have since noticed that it only generates a report when I close a folder contained within My Documents (not all folders, I might add).

Are there any third party programs which could identify the folder issue?

Thanks.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the crashes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 klimowicz

klimowicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:25 AM

Thanks. Here is a fresh error...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 10/12/2008
Time: 12:21:03
User: N/A
Computer: PC2050
Description:
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00d516ce.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 65 78 70 ure exp
0018: 6c 6f 72 65 72 2e 65 78 lorer.ex
0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39 e 6.0.29
0028: 30 30 2e 35 35 31 32 20 00.5512
0030: 69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f in unkno
0038: 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 wn 0.0.0
0040: 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 .0 at of
0048: 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 64 fset 00d
0050: 35 31 36 63 65 0d 0a 516ce..

Yesterday, the problem was just with certain folders in My Documents. It's now gone back to any random folder.

Thanks in advance.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 klimowicz

klimowicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:12 AM

Hi, I checked the C drive as you suggested No errors were found and the problem still exists. Are there any other options? Thanks for the help...

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

You could try running the system file checker:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 klimowicz

klimowicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:19 AM

I've run sfc.exe /scannow twice now, one about 30 minutes ago. Same problem. Nothing that I know has worked, what are my options now? Or are there other solutions?

Thanks again.

#13 klimowicz

klimowicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

I did a search on Google and discovered a few things about this problem, which didn't show in previous search results.

Somebody had an identical error caused by the iefdm2.dll extension in Free Download Manager, which I had installed too. I also discovered that multiple programs may have been infected by the Trojan.Vundo but not fixed or removed, which I mentioned earlier.

I ran a scan with Vundo Fix, and it found 8 problems in my /system32 folder. After creating a restore point, I removed Free Download Manager & the 8 infected files in the /system32 folder through Vundo Fix.

I've spent the last 5 minutes opening and closing random folders and desktop shortcuts, and I have not (yet) experienced any more explorer.exe errors. Here's hoping I've solved the issue once and for all.

Thanks one and all for the help, I'm off to back up my system (although I may be back soon...).

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for post back with this information. It may be of use to others with the same problem.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

Try searching your entire computer (to include system and hidden folders) for files ending in .mdmp
These files can be analyzed using this procedure: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
The above procedure is designed for system/kernel crashes - but the debugger will process user level crashes and may give some info as to what's causing this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users