Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connected...or not?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

I already posted this in the networking forum, but I guess very few people monitor that forum and this may be a XP problem as well, so I am reposting this here and will delete the other one.

Hmm this seems to be a strange problem.

I left for vacation last week, did not touch my laptop, came back and now it will not connect.. it seems.

I originally was unable to obtain DHCP automatically, was getting limited or no connectivity. So I was confused, I ran xpwinsock fix and no go. So I changed to a static address, and was able to fully connect. Well, thats what it says. I open internet explorer or firefox, they are slow to open, and they do not show pages, just, canot find server messages.

So I began to think, maybe we have a problem with COMODO or NetPeeker. So I disabled both, still nothing. Ran LSPfix to locate problems, everything seemed fine, ran malware bytes, spybot, and nod32, all clean.

We did no changes to our network here, and I made no changes to my laptop.

HOWEVER!!!

On my last day before my vacation I was getting hit HARD with SYN flood attacks, thousands of attempts. Thankfully NetPeeker does a pretty good job at blocking these. So it may be possible that a problem could have occured there.

I have tried everything I can think of, any other suggestions???
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

A couple things.

1. It could be malware so I'd open up a post in the "Am I infected forum"

2. If you are completely clean it's most likely a firewall blocking access to the internet. Make sure that both antivirus software and firewalls allow your browser to access the internet.

I recommend making sure you aren't infected before checking the firewalls.

When you're clean just come back here and I'll get to work

#3 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

I know that I am not infected, ran multiple scans using malware bytes, spybot, and nod32, ran CCleaner to do a cleanup of junk. I disabled all firewalls, and also completely removed COMODO to just verify that the problem is not in that.

I am going to be deleting all the rules I set with Net Peeker from the windows folder and see if the problem may lie there, I doubt it.

Edited by Box In A Bag, 08 December 2008 - 03:14 PM.

Posted Image

#4 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

Just please post in the Am I infected forum for me, this will allow me to completely eliminate that as an option. Whenever you are technically "connected" to the internet but can't access it, usually a program is preventing you from accessing your internet. Usually it's a firewall but there are good odds that its malware.

#5 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

No virus, like I figured.

It was infact Net Peeker, I established a rule that did not allow full internet access. Deleted the rule, restarted the computer, everything worked fine.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users