Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Booting Into Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:31 AM

HI Guys,

I am having some problems with a computer in that i cannot boot into windows.

The system seems to be going through the motions of loading windows, then it gets to a point, and powers off a moment, then comes back to life again and goes through the motions all over agian.

I've tried booting into safe mode, but it does the same thing .... it gets so far, then goes no further.

The computer is admittedly on its last legs, but there are some valuable details on there that i would like to retrieve before it goes to that scrap heap in the sky.

The system is an Acer Aspire 5000 running XP Pro.

Would appreciate it if you could offer any advice on this one.
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

If you can stop the automatic restarts you should get an error message explaining what is happening, so let's try to stop the automatic restarts.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

As for retrieving your information from this computer, you can purchase an external case for the hdd and plug it in via a USB port on another computer and transfer your files from there to other removable media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

Dc3, ... thanks so much for your help on this one .... unfortunately, i can't get into Windows in order to stop the automatic restarts.

If i could get in to begin with, it would give me some room to manouvre.

Dont suppose you have a plan B ??

Thanks again..
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#4 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:16 PM

When your computer is just starting up tap F8 and you should be able to see more options, disable automatic restart on system failure to see the blue screen properly. This could also be in Advanced options after tapping F8

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

Do you have the startup disc for the operating system? If accessing the Recovery Console from the startup disc.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

Ok guys ... thanks for your help so far.

The blue screen of death is showing me an error saying " unountable boot volume "

I can only assume this is a problem in booting from the hard drive - would it be possible to boot form a CD ??

Or should i go down the route of trying to repair the installation ??

Thanks again ...

#7 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

Sorry Dc3 - added my reply before i saw yours.

Thanks in advance for your help - i'll go down that route.

#8 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
You will get a dos prompt
Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
"Y" and enter at the prompt
Then type "exit" and hit enter
The system will now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
When done type "exit" and hit enter.
This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users