Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading RAm

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doodoog

doodoog

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

I have an HP 8765c PC. 900MhZ AMD Athlon processor, with 128 Mb RAM, 45 GB memory. Primarily use it to surf the net, Office 2000, Photos, I-Tunes etc. Through research i've learned I can increase to 512 MB RAM, by replacing it with 2 256 cards. My question is , Will this increase the speed and if so will it be noticable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

An increase from 128MB of RAM to 512MB will definitely make a noticeable difference in performance. This computer uses PC133 which is on the expensive side by comparison to newer RAM, $33.99 per 256MB module at Crucial.

From past experience I've found that the motherboards running on PC100 and PC133 can be picky about the RAM that they like, I would suggest going with a reputable manufacturer that will guarantee that the modules they sell for your computer will be compatible.

Edited by dc3, 08 December 2008 - 11:35 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

I just received the following question from doodoog in a PM...

You telling me that the memory card is a pc133 and $34 (each 256) at crutial. However i've found it at www.edgetechcorp.com for $20 (each 256) but they say it's a pc100. Is this b.s. and not work?

Depending on the motherboard, some PC133 can be backward compatible with PC100 and in some cases is more readily available.

Yes, you will be able to find better prices on modules, but once again I would suggest that you purchase from a reputable manufacturer that will guarantee compatibility.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 doodoog

doodoog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

thanks. Is there any way for me to check my system to determine if I need a pc133 or pc 100 module?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

The link to the Crucial site that I provided shows that you computer is compatible with PC133. If you want more information try going to a couple of other sites and use their configuration tools to find out what they suggest. Try Corsair, Kingston, OCZ, ADATA, G.SKILL, mushkin. Any of these companies should have RAM for your computer, and all are reputable. The companies that I listed are just a few of the good manufacturers out there, I'm not suggesting that these are the best.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

I would be a little leery of www.edgetechcorp.com
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/EDGE_Tech_Corp
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:15 AM

I agree with Mark, I like Corsair, & OCZ.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

I definitely agree with the suggestion to buy from a supplier who will guarantee compatibility - some HP models can be picky about the memory they will work with. A friend had to try memory from two suppliers to get what his son's Pavilion would accept.

The specification indicates a 100MHz bus speed:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...p;product=60943

so in principle, either PC100 or PC133 should be suitable, but not all motherboards accepted the backwards compatibility offered by PC133.

Judging by your software, seems the OS has been updated from WinME? If it was still ME, it would probably be best to just add one 256M, as ME could need some tweaking to be stable with 512M of memory. Win2000 or XP will certainly benefit.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users