Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need honest opinions please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ramnf

ramnf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

Hello fellow users Iwant to go to school to begin a career in the computer industry but I have read nothing but negative reviews about schools in the tulsa,ok area.I'm confused about where to go for my education.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nospam

nospam

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

Personally, I would try to take a job where you can learn on the job as opposed to going to an IT school. Maybe a PC repair shop or something. It is very expensive to go to those schools and you are not guaranteed a job. If you still want to go to a tech school, simply google them for outsider information to see if people feel "scammed" or if they think such schools are worthwhile. The job market is tough everywhere, so maybe you can teach yourself on the side while holding some day time job. Good luck.

#3 silverpl105

silverpl105

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:28 AM

Well the most simple way is go to some places you are interested in.

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

The computing industry is a very wide and confusing one. I think first you need to decide which computing pathway you would like to go down, whether its hardware or software, developer, user. I would totally agree with nospam with regards to finding a job (even if its part time/summer work) where you can receive some 'on the job training'. You can learn a vast amount from first hand experience. Going to school/college/university doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a job in computing, no does just working in a shop, its about a combination.

Its worth looking at a part time job and what your local school/college/university has to offer with regards to computer courses.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Edited by FireKracker, 17 December 2008 - 11:31 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hi ramnf,

Experience is important, but when you apply for jobs, having a finished degree gives you a better chance of getting a good job. The best is a combination of both experience and the degree.

Are you limited to Oklahoma for residency? TulsaTech seems to specialize in Networking, with some forensics, and website design. If you don't know which areas of computers you want to specialize in, it would be possible for you to take basic coursework in Tulsa while you work. Once you've sorted out which area interests you the most, you could take those courses on to a school which specializes in the area of study you want to pursue. Here's a link to some information about them. There's more. This is just one area:

http://www.tulsatech.edu/Programs/program....eView=WBP.GROUP

There's also a school in Tulsa which is a private tech school called ITT tech. This is an institute with schools all over the country and offers both an associate and a bachelor's degree. I don't want to guess how much this school costs, but it might be worth looking into. Here's a link to it:

http://itt-tech.edu/teach/list/ceet.cfm

Hope this helps.
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users