Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning up an old computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_K

Mike_K

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:30 AM

Hi All,

I hope this is the right forum

I am getting our old computer ready for my daughter. She will be using it for games and music. She will not have internet access on it. We stopped using it almost 2 years ago. At the time the preformance had really gone down hill. Rather than clean it up we used that as an excuse to buy a new system. Now I want to get it running as best as possible.

It is a Compaq Presario 5000 series with windows XP service pack 2. It is 6 years old.

So far I have: cleaned the inside of the case. Deleted unwanted files and programs. Ran disk clean up and disk defragmenmter. Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The first time it found a bunch of stuff which it removed. The second time the log shows no infections. I did the same thing in safe mode with SUPRERAntiSpysweeper. It found and fixed a bunch the first time and now is clean. I ran Avast which found four things which I moved to quarantine. The second time it came up clean. I ran ATC cleaner and finally I cleared all of the old restore points. Did I miss anything?

Since this computer won't have internet access I plan to uninstall the Mbam, SaS, and Avast. I turned off the firewall and auto updates. This is an older computer and I don't want to waste any resources on unnecessary things. Is this OK to do? One problem is everytime the computer starts I get an alert that I'm not protected. Can this alert be turned off?

Two more things pop up when the computer starts. One is RUNDLL (error loading C:\Windows\system32\kfyybcuh.dll The specified module could not be found.) How do I turn this off?

The other is the Found New Hardware Wizard. It wants to install the PCI modem. How can I cancel this and stop it from starting?

Finally, There is a HP Share-To-Web Upload Folder shortcut on the desktop that I can't delete. How do I delete this shortcut?

Well, thanks for reading and any advice you can give me.

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jessekool

jessekool

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

If you want to completely clean up the computer I suggest you just reinstall Windows if you still have the install disk (Always keep the install disk!) I have done this a few time to my old computers and they work suprisingly fast after they have been reinstalled. If you don't know how to install Windows you can always google it and you should find plenty of tutorials. But after you reinstall windows XP, you might wanna get service pack 3 for it. But in order to get service pack three, you need to get service pack 1. So you can go to the microsoft website and download service packs or go to a third-party site that doesn't require that you get all these security updates. Well, once you have SP3 installed you might wanna get Windows Media Player 11 because your daughter is using it for music. You can get this from Microsoft. And there are another bunch of things you will need for games and such, like directx9 and other software. Once you have the computer the way you like it, you can disconnect from the internet and set it up for your daughter's use. And usually you wont get viruses if you don't have internet access. But sometimes there are viruses on flash drives and stuff. If you have any questions please feel free to ask :thumbsup:

#3 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

Please make a thread in the "Am I infected forum"

once you are determined to be clean I can help you speed up your computer.

#4 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

Thank you for the tips Jessekool. Unfortunatly I don't have the install disk. Don't know if I lost it or never had it to begin with.

Scissorhand7, I'll post in the other forum and come back here when that is complete.

Thanks
Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

<<Since this computer won't have internet access I plan to uninstall the Mbam, SaS, and Avast. I turned off the firewall and auto updates. This is an older computer and I don't want to waste any resources on unnecessary things. Is this OK to do?>>

Your statement seems to imply that Internet connectivity is the only way for malware to get on a system. Also seems to imply that installing critical updates is not necessary and that there is no use for the WinUpdate site.

Louis

#6 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hi Louis,

Not trying to imply anything. I'm asking. How can malware get on the computer without being connected to anything but the power cord? Music and games are either already on the machine from before or will come from cd's. Anything downloaded by someone else can be scaned before it is installed. Do I still need malware protection on this machine?

As far as auto update, I see no reason to leave this active. Her computer will never have a connection to use. Updates can be downloaded on my computer and installed on hers.

What updates do you suggest and how do I find them? Remember this machine hasn't been updated in two years.

Thanks

Mike

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

Well...floppies have been a means of transmission for viruses.

If the contents of the system are static, I suppose that there could be no possible transmission.

I can't tell you if you need protection or not...it's hard for me to envision anyone desiring a PC without Internet connectivity. That sounds strangely like the old word-processors that I used to manipulate before I bought a PC.

As for updates...I believe in posting/installing critical updates as they become available...but I believe that Internet capability is what makes having a PC worthwhile.

You might check with the posters/admins over at the Am I Infected portion of this website and see what they might offer as opinions re your perspective...I'm certainly no more qualified to give sound advice regarding malware and protection/avoidance...than the next person.

Louis

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinions :thumbsup:, I've never claimed to be pope or anything like that.

To OP:

But...I'm curious as to how old the intended recipient of this system is. Seems to me that anyone above a relatively young age is certainly going probably look at a computer without Internet connectivity...as a poor gift, since even grade-school kids rely upon it for reports, info, etc.

Louis

#9 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

Hey All,

Let me clear up a little confusion. My daughter is 16 and she asked to have our old computer in her room. This computer will be used for typing homework; transfering music from CD to iPod; and playing assorted games like Sims and Rollercoaster. We have another computer in the family room. This has internet access. The two are not connected in any way. If she needs the internet for anything she can use the family computer. You can understand me not wanting a 16 year old having unsupervised internet access.

Mike

Edited by Mike_K, 08 December 2008 - 07:40 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

Thanks...I understand :thumbsup:.

But...since I was originally a Catholic when I was a child (where everything/anything had a connotation of "sin") I saw then that...the attempt to deny young persons privileges that their peers have...sometimes only serve to stimulate the desire for such.

Sixteen is pretty grown up, IMO...we take 17-year-olds and turn them into soldiers, wearing the uniform of their country.

Many of my perspectives are shaped by my experiences of eons gone by, I still remember what it was like :flowers:.

Louis

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

transfering music from CD to iPod;

I'm sure a 16 year old will be swapping tunes with friends. As Louis said, ipods, floppies, burned CD' and things transfered with a thumbdrive are all possible routes of infection
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

Since the computer will not be connected to the internet, there will be the additional issue of updating any virus/malware scanners. You may have to briefly hook the system up to the internet in order to update. It's essential that you do so, as viruses and malware are always evolving and the scanners definitions will have to updated to tackle those threats.

#13 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:30 AM

Thanks Mark and Queen-Evie.

I guess I'll leave the malware protection on. I told my daughter to check with me before she adds anything from her friends. Hopefully I can catch anything before it gets onto the computer. This is a good chance for her to learn some responsibility. If she gets infected, it's her fault.

As far as updates, I can do that on my computer and transfer them with my flash drive.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users