Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ps2 keyboard locks up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:02 AM

Hello everyone,
I need some help for a friend of mine. She uses a ps2-keyboard. It worked fine for more than a year but now its locks up frequently. It works fine for, say, an hour, and after that does not respond anymore. The mouse works fine. I checked hardware status, fine, drivers, up to date, virusscans, nothing. I also checked the hardware, connects fine, no problems. Can someone give me a clue of what is wrong here??
Thank you very much.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

Have you tried this keyboard on another computer, or another keyboard on this computer?

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are any errors with the keyboard?

Try uninstalling the drivers for the keyboard in the Device Manager, reboot the computer and the installation wizard should find native drivers for the keyboard and install them. Sometimes drivers become corrupted.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

I cannot test the keyboard, because she has no other PC near. Device manager is checked, drivers appear to be okay.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

It would be worth taking the keyboard to a computer shop just to see if it is working. I can't see a reasonable tech charging just to see if it is working. Make a couple of calls around and see if there is a shop near you that would check it out for free. Once you have done this you will know if the problem is with the keyboard or not.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

I think I figured out the problem. The harddisk of her PC has 1,8 GB free space left. The keyboard doesn"t lock entirely up, but its reaction is very slow. I let her remove a bunch of musics, unnecessary programs, and afterwards I hope whe doesn't have any problems left.
Thank you for your opinions and suggestions!

regards, Elise

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Ah... the old lack of swap space trick! Hope this solves you problem, let us know how it works out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users