Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no wifi, cannot install, changing folder options

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SkratRadder

SkratRadder

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:52 AM

my friend brought his computer to me to help him out with. it's running really slow, the internal wireless cannot pick up internet, i can't install malwarebites either in safe mode or not. Spybot installed but would not open. Task manager is locked. He had an expired version of norton. I couldn't uninstall norton so i did a manual uninstall(used to work for Mcafee) and then tried to get Mcafee's scan in dos to work, which i couldn't even extract the sdat until i did it in safe mode with cmd. I was finally able to get that to run, but also know that it is not specifically designed for malware. The computer is getting slower by the minute. System restore was deleted. So, now the scan in dos will finish in a few hours, i'm hoping that it'll get me to a point that i can install a spyware scanner. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Combofix wouldn't do the Recovery console install either. He has winxp sp3. I haven't tried to run combo fix straight up yet. Thanks
B. Rake

..The scan finished, detected and deleted 11 problems, still no task manager/installation abilities/or running of any other antivirus, spyware removal programs. Running the scan again, it got stuck close to the end for a few hours. Smitfraudfix instantly recieved the whatever it's called that asks you to send info to microsoft about whatever problem. I also found WebVideo Support....
Thanks

Edited by SkratRadder, 08 December 2008 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

okay, i wasn't able to get anywhere past that. My friend has lost his recovery disks as well. is there any way to be able to install the windows recovery console w/o them? i also have puppy linus, is there a way i can boot that then scan for windows viruses?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

Please try running this Avira AntiVir Rescue System and see if you can perform only the Malware bytes scan and post a scan log. Do not rin Combofix.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

Will do once I have the opprorunity. Is there any way to do a system recovery without the disks? It's a hp pavilion, if I'm unable to run that program as well?
Thanks,
B. Rake

#5 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:55 AM

How do i get the log? The scan was completed with 25 alerts and 49 warnings. 0 suspicious, 0 repaired, 0 deleted, 20 renamed. What're they going to be renamed to now? should i boot puppy and try to delete them manually?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:28 PM

The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

how do i do that? i can view the log and was manually entering it, but it became a very strenuous process. Where is the log saved? how can i copy and paste through the program to be able to get it onto here? I can move the log over to this computer if i know where to find it on the hd, or a way to copy and paste -> save but running through that program based on linux, i'm uncertain of the cmds i'd need to do.

Renaming many of those files however did work well. The computer is still unable to find any wireless networks, but i was able to run spybot, which found smitfraud and zlob, which obviously were not able to be removed by spybot. i just ran malwarebytes' anti malware and removed all the problems it found, am now doing the rescan. I scanned with spybot 3 times now. before using antivir i was unable to run spybot or install any antispy/virus applications. I can post the spybot or malwarebytes logs though.

Okay, last scan just finished with malwarebytes and no objects were found, but was only doing the quick scan because i'm short on time right now. Still cannot find any wireless networks, and the switch is turned on. when trying to install itunes i recieve the message that windows installer service could not be accessed, after the windows installer bar starts to load for a moment.
Thanks for all your help,
B. Rake

Spybot came up clean, im sure that reinstalling "windows installer service" will fix that problem, any idea on the wifi? are there any additional steps i can take?

Edited by SkratRadder, 14 December 2008 - 03:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users