Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random ads popping up, gadcom.exe detected

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Down By The River

Down By The River

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:25 AM

My computer, whether I have a browser open or not, keeps bringing up random ads. When it first started, it happened every five minutes. Now it's randomized and can happen anywhere from two minutes to ten minutes apart. It opens these pages in FireFox, my default browser.

I have AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition and Spyware Doctor on my computer, along with Windows XP's firewall. Before I realized the extent of the problem, I ran AVG and it deleted two files called "gadcom.exe", which it found in my Applications folder (I cannot find the folder where it was now). Then I ran Spyware Doctor and it found and deleted 65 infected files from various places.

Unfortunately, I did not save a registry of the files found. My anti-virus and anti-spyware programs had been protecting my computer from everything and I expected "gadcom.exe" to be the same. This was not the case. The symptoms did not disappear after AVG and Spyware Doctor did their respective removals.

I most recently discovered that Windows XP's firewall has been disabled and I cannot re-enable it.

I'm not very computer savvy. When I found this site and was reading through the pages about "gadcom.exe", it made a very limited amount of sense to me. I found out from reading that I messed up in running AVG and Spyware Doctor without first finding this site and asking someone who knows what they're doing for help. Hopefully this won't be so much of a problem that my computer can't be saved. :thumbsup: I hope I've given enough information for someone to help. If not, please let me know and I'll do my best to supply the missing pieces to the puzzle. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users