Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to troubleshoot DVD player

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hikerdave

hikerdave

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:15 AM

I have a Compaq Presario 5000, model 5BW284, 850MHz processor,Windows XP Pro

This PC came with a Compaq DVD player built in. I've been noticing that DVD player performance has been steadily deteriorating. Now almost whenever I try to play a DVD movie I

I get this error box saying "please insert disk into drive E." But there is a disk in drive E.

And on My Computer/Devices with removable storage/ DVD Drive E properties/General, it shows:

Used space 0 bytes
Free space 0 bytes

This is what I have done so far:

Checked drivers with seem to be up to date
made sure correct DVD region is selected
made sure device is enabled
updated RAM to maximum 512MB
used optical lens cleaner

Does the DVD drive need replacing?

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by hikerdave, 08 December 2008 - 01:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

It is an electromechanical device and can wear out, so yes, that is a possibility.

Try uninstalling it in the Device Manager and rebooting, the Installation Wizard will recognize it as new hardware and will assign native drivers for it. Sometimes the drivers can become corrupted and need to be replaced.

You could also try installing the drive in another computer and see if the problem repeats in it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hikerdave

hikerdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:37 PM

ok thanks DC3, I'll try uninstalling it in device manager and rebooting. maybe I'll reinstall the Power DVD software also.

Thanks for responding to my other inquiry about upgrading the processor. I guess I'm trying to squeeze as much performance from this old PC as possible. But like you said, probably not worth the expense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users