Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive only registering 10 gb out of 80 gb!?!?!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ShortHairyMan

ShortHairyMan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

So here's the situation:

My aunt was running Windows XP installed on a 10gb hard drive. She needed more space so I helped her buy a 80gb hard drive.

Since everything was already setup the way she liked and it would be a hassle to re-install everything, I decided to do the following:

- Used Drive XML to backup the 10gb hard drive to my laptop in RAW mode (via external enclosure)
- Then using Drive XML, restored the image file to new 80gb hard drive (via external enclosure)
- Plugged the newly restored 80gb hard drive back into the desktop computer.
- Now when checking the properties of the 80gb hard drive, it is showing that 2gb are free out of 9.5gb.
- When I check in Disk Management, it shows the same info but in the bottom grid of Disk Management, it shows that it is a 80gb hard drive.

How do I then fix this so it registers all 80 gigs?
I have a feeling this happened since I backed up the drive in RAW mode, where it copied the full 10gb hard drive including the empty 2 gigs.

screenshot:
Posted Image

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ShortHairyMan, 08 December 2008 - 12:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:07 AM

It sounds as though you have unpartitioned space. As I am not extremely knowledgable about how to add unpartitioned space to current partitioned space I'll let someone who does advise you.

There is a rather expensive piece of software (70 bucks) called partition magic that has good reviews of effectively resizing your partition without having to reformat.

There are also free software that do the same thing.

I've heard its rather risky business and you can lose data by doing so. So I'd wait for a couple other users on this site to put in some input before doing anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867

Through fdisk you can view your partitions and determine if it is indeed unpartitioned space

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users