Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to Upgrade Cd-Rom

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blov10

blov10

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

I'm needing to upgrade from my Cd-Rom (Dell Dimension 2350 - # HL-DT-ST CD-RWGCE-8481B) to a DVD/CD-Rom drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I just recently upgraded my RAM to the max.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

Given the age of this PC, I'm going to assume the CD-ROM drive is IDE not SATA. Drives are cheap these days.

LITE-ON IDE Combo Drive <<<Note: This is an OEM drive so all that comes in the package is the drive.

Edited by DJBPace07, 07 December 2008 - 11:24 PM.

3939.png

#3 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

Given the age of this PC, I'm going to assume the CD-ROM drive is IDE not SATA. Drives are cheap these days.

LITE-ON IDE Combo Drive <<<Note: This is an OEM drive so all that comes in the package is the drive.

I'm not too savy...I don't know what IDE or SATA are and when you say the drive itself is the only thing in the package....what else will I need?

I saw that drive on NewEgg but I was looking at the one below it instead.

LiteOn Retail Not OEM

Or is this one better?

LITE ON DVD+R CD+R

Edited by blov10, 08 December 2008 - 11:37 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

The first one will only read DVDs not burn them
OEM for optical drives means it comes in a box with worthless instructions and not just wrapped in bubble wrap
The last time I bought a OEM it still came with the cable. That's really all you need
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

The first one will only read DVDs not burn them
OEM for optical drives means it comes in a box with worthless instructions and not just wrapped in bubble wrap
The last time I bought a OEM it still came with the cable. That's really all you need

Thanks.

If I went with the second one, that burns DVD's also, and there isn't a cable in the box...what type of cable would I need?

Thanks in advance.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

A standard IDE cable should work. You should also be aware that the first one you chose does not come with DVD burning whereas the second one, and mine, does. The only real difference, hardware wise, between the one I suggested and your second one is that yours has a slightly faster burn speed. If you buy the Retail one, you get everything in the package. Purchasing, and shipping, an IDE cable could easily eat up the money you will save if you go with OEM. You can reuse the old IDE cable currently connecting the drive you are wishing to replace to your new drive.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users