Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System32 and Notepad

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leprechaun

Leprechaun

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:35 AM

Greetings,
On startup, my Pc displays the following in a Notepad document, and I have this niggling feeling that "system32" means I have a bug of some kind, but so far Norton, AVG, SpyGuard, Spybot, and Adaware have failed to clean up anything unusul.

Message is:-

localizedresourcename=@%systemroot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

Screengrab

Any idea?
Fetch me another plaything, this one seems to have broken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:34 AM

Something gives me the feeling that the problem is being generated by the bho zapper hidden under the notepad screen. What does it say on that, if anything?

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:49 PM

I noticed you said Norton and AVG.
You're don't have them both running at the same time, do you?
Two AV's running at the same time will conflict with each other, causing problems.
You shouldn't have 2 AV's or 2 Firewalls running together.
You can have as many Spyware programs as you want.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Leprechaun

Leprechaun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:53 PM

Something gives me the feeling that the problem is being generated by the bho zapper hidden under the notepad screen. What does it say on that, if anything?

It reads "Trial Period Expired"
Fetch me another plaything, this one seems to have broken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users