Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Coincidence?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

I posted a topic here already about a virus attack I sustained last Thursday, 12/4, and my subsequent problems. I've been moved over to the HJT Log forum and I'm awaiting help there. Please note:

==========================
I AM NOT SOLICITING HELP HERE!
==========================

I am posting this here in the spirit of the forum description:

... Or if you just want to vent about a PC invasion, then feel free to let it out! just keep it clean.

While describing my problems to a friend I remembered something odd that may or may not be connected to my problems. Sometimes a coincidence is really just a coincidence, but sometimes not.

On the morning of 11/27 (Thanksgiving here in the States) I turned on my PC and got a warning in a bubble from the System Tray that my antivirus program, Avast!, was out of date and I might be at risk.

I opened Avast! and tried to update it, but it actually was fully up to date. I searched on the internet and found an explanation -- if the computer's clock setting is wrong it may not actually know whether or not a product is outdated.

I checked my clock and, sure enough, it reported the correct time, but the month was set to December 27, 2008.

Now, I have never screwed with the clock setting. I figured it was just an odd hiccup in Windows.

But exactly one week later -- Thursday, December 4, 2008 -- I got hit by a massive (to me, at least) virus attack. The first sign was that a program that I'd had for a year (and not used in many months) was suddenly reported by Ad-Aware to be a Trojan.

Anyway, this may be just a coincidence. But if anyone is following these things, I thought I'd report it.

Or, just vent! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users