Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 32 not saving user settings & changes at shutdown

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 deadfoot13

deadfoot13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

My friend has Vista Home Premium 2007, 32-bit, with Service Pack 1 installed on a HP computer. A couple of weeks ago a Java update caused the system to crash, and the blue-screen-of-death problem occurred. It would not allow a repair or recovery, and she wound up doing a reinstallation, taking it back to the factory settings. Since that point, she has downloaded/installed various applications such as Spybot and other software, only to have it not be there when she turns the computer on the next day. It also does not save her user settings such as wallpaper, custom icons & cursors, etc. On occasion some of the stuff will be there, and on several occasions it has come up with a black screen requiring her to restore back again, losing everything. I know very little about Vista having clung tooth and nail to XP myself, and she knows even less than I, so any ideas would be appreciated greatly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

Hi deadfoot13,

It sounds like the computer might still be under warranty. One thing you could suggest, would be calling the manufacturer and telling them that this symptom occurred (and continues) after returning the computer to factory settings. From that point on where the computer is set back to factory settings, it should work like it did when it was first purchased. If it doesn't, then there's something wrong in the copy the computer has been restored from, and for now and for any future problems, this option needs to work the way it's supposed to. If it doesn't, it will be a problem every time she uses this feature.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users