Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite R10 upgrading questions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zen00

Zen00

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

So, from what it says, you can upgrade to an 80gb hard drive, Pentium m 2.0 CPU, and 2gb of internal RAM.

What I was wondering is if you can actually go further than that, because I've talked to several people who have upgraded their computers past the manual posted limits.

Is it possible? And to how much?
This space will eventually have something very cool to fill it up, but not right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

Are those your system specs? You would be lucky if your system can be better than what the manufacturer says.

I'd say for the most part, you can not exceed the max ram the manual says it can support.

You may be able to use better processors, but the computer may not detect them properly. This may lead to the processor not working the best it can, or lead to problems. Then again, maybe you'll get lucky and it will work fine, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm pretty sure that a system running a pentium m processor and 2gb of ram can handle more than an 80gb hard drive. Where are you getting this info from?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:44 PM

http://www.hiperdistghana.com/pdf/toshiba/toshibaR10.pdf

It's the specs for my computer, if it could have a larger hard drive put in it, that's the major thing I'm after right now.
This space will eventually have something very cool to fill it up, but not right now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

That detail just indicates the largest hard drive they were willing to include...at that time, there is no limitation on hard drive size for a system unless it's XP that is Pre-SP1. That limitation has now been overcome by installing SP1 and it's successors.

Louis

#5 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

Thanks, I'll look into that then.

#6 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

Here's a new question, is my laptop PATA-8 compliant? Or do I need to use 7, 6, etc...

And would this drive be compliant with my computer? http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=Stor...YSpecifications

Another thing, what would putting a better brand of RAM in do, like Corsair or Kingston, or PNY?

Edited by Zen00, 09 December 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

Your laptop's hard drive interface, according to that adobe link you sent, is IDE or ATA (sometimes referred to as PATA). The hard drive you sent is a SATA hard drive, and will not work with your laptop.

That link you sent also states that your laptop uses DDR (do not confuse with DDR2 or DDR3, they are not interchangeable!) 333mhz ram at 2.5V and only supports a maximum of 2gb (1gb in each of it's two slots). If you have 2gb now, you cannot put anymore in. Those brands you listed are all respectable brands for ram. I'd say whatever you can get the best deal on, but I wouldn't go with an off brand company.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:00 AM

The hard drive in question said that it was PATA 8 compliant, which means it will connect to PATA? Or only SATA? That was my real question.

As for the RAM, I believe you misunderstood me, I want to know if there will be a visible performance change in my computer using a high end brand like Corsair or Kingston, over a generic, and if so, which RAM brand would give me the best performance boost.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

You can only use PATA hard drive's (they are also referred to as ATA or IDE) You cannot use SATA hard drives.

You will not see a performance difference between the different ram brands.

#10 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

So, when it says on the hard drive that it accepts PATA 8, it will only accept SATA? Weird.

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

I think you have misunderstood me. Your laptop will not work with SATA hard drive's.

Your laptop will only work with a PATA hard drive (they are also referred to as ATA or IDE). Make sure it is a 2.5" hard drive, or it will not fit.

#12 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:14 PM

Here's what I'm thinking. On the hard drive's information, it says that it's a SATA hard drive that's PATA-8 compliant. I know that my computer is a PATA only laptop, so I'd only put in a PATA drive, but the SATA drive says it's PATA-8 compliant. Does that mean it has dual inputs for SATA and PATA? And since there are 8 versions of the PATA system out there, which one would my computer be compliant with, or is it compliant will all?

#13 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

Well now I'm a bit confused.

I think when it says PATA 8 compliant, it means it can use the features of a PATA 8 hard drive. Doing a quick search on Wikipedia, I found that PATA 8 is- "Hybrid drive featuring non-volatile cache to speed up critical OS files" .

So if you can take the hard drive out, what does the connection look like? Does it have a bunch of pins going along it like this: http://bixnet.net/images/NBHD-IDE-Connector.jpg, or does it have a smaller connection without a bunch of pins sticking out like this: http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/I..._SATA_BEVSd.jpg ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users