Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ECC Registered Ram and Non ECC Non Registered RAM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LedBakery

LedBakery

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

What is the difference between the two, and what is the pros and cons of each?

I was offered a good deal on a stick of 512MB Ram that will run on my pc, but in the details the guys says it's Non ECC, Non registered, and unbuffered. I want to know what each of those things means, and does it effect the way the memory will run?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Basically, modules with these features are used in applications such a servers where the redundancies of Error Checking (ECC) or Registered (sometimes called buffered) modules are used to ensure stability. These generally are not found in personal computers, they are more expensive, and are slower.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 LedBakery

LedBakery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

So which one is better for my needs? Basically just a personal use pc for gaming and such. Performance wise, it makes no difference?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:20 PM

Usually the non ECC and unbuffered modules are what you want, but you can go to Crucial's web site and either use their scan or their configurator to determine what they suggest for your computer. This will show you how many expansion slots you have, the maximum amount of RAM for each slot, and the type of RAM that will best work in those slots.

Edit: What will be shown for the maximum amount of RAM per slot is based on what the motherboard is capable of supporting, but you need to remember that a 32-bit operating system will only recognize up to 3.5GB of RAM, you will need a 64-bit operating system to have it recognize anything higher.

Edited by dc3, 07 December 2008 - 11:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users