Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading cpu questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LedBakery

LedBakery

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading my current processor, a Athlon XP1800+, to the best one my motherboard supports. Which I think is the Athlon XP2400+. Is the 2400 the best processor for my motherboard? The computer will be used for running gaming(MMOG), browsing, and running photoshop. My current processor can do these things, but I want it to be able to run the games more efficiently. Any and all advice and help is welcomed and appreciated.

My current pc specs are as follows:
Model
DB282A

Processor
Athlon (T) XP1800+ 1.53 Ghz /w QuantiSpeed Architecture
Advanced 266 Mhz Front Side Bus (FSB)
Socket A

Chipset
Via KM 266

MotherBoard
Manufacturer's name - FIC AM37
Motherboard Supplier FIC
Motherboard Name AM37
System BIOS Supplier Award
Form Factor uATX
Processor Brand AMD
Processor Socket Type Socket-A (PGA462)
Processor Family Duron, Athlon, AthlonXP
Proc. Front Side Bus Freq. 200/266 MHz
Chipset Name VIA KM266

Memory
Type Supported PC2100 / PC1600
Type of RAM DDR SDRAM

If you need more information about the system specs please tell me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

I think there were a couple of Barton core CPUs (2800+) that ran a 266 FSB. There might even be a mobile Barton that will work on that motherboard. It is difficult to speculate on a VIA266 as that was the first iteration of DDR chipsets by VIA and prosessor support might be iffy. My last AMD setup had a mobile Barton on an NForce2 at 2.55ghz with a big(for the time) copper cooler, quick for what it was.

If you can get a processor for free/cheap it might be worth the time to upgrade it. I would be really hesitant to put any time/labor into a rig of that vintage. The mobile Athlon/Barton processors were the ones to get because they had a lot of overclocking headroom. Your motherboard had to support it though.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

I don't think you would see much of a performance increase. As dpunisher mentioned, it's probably not worth the time or money either.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 LedBakery

LedBakery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

Well, I'm looking for any performance increase. Someone told me that it isn't worth upgrading unless you go atleast 400Mhz. The one I have now is 1533Mhz and the 2400 is 2000Mhz, and I read somewhere that the 2400 processor is unlocked, so I should be able to overclock a little bit in order to get a little better performance, right?

Also, could you give me some advice with this thread too. :thumbsup:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/184898/ecc-registered-ram-and-non-ecc-non-registered-ram/

Edited by LedBakery, 07 December 2008 - 10:06 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

How much money can you spend on an upgrade?

Seems to me it would be better to forget that socket...and at least take a look at the inexpensive motherboard/CPU combos that might be available for Socket AM2 boards.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...417|&Sort=4

New RAM would be needed but...DDR2 is dirt cheap now.

I would think that would present some increase over your current components.

Louis

#6 LedBakery

LedBakery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

I'm rebuilding this pc before I spend time and money into something better. Practice makes perfect? :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:45 PM

OK...

For reference purposes only: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/185065/help-with-graphics-update/

Louis

#8 LedBakery

LedBakery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

Why you linked me to my other thread?

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

Why you linked me to my other thread?

Possibly because you are spamming the forum with multiple topics on the same system?

You should be able to overclock a bit. Multipliers, even on mobile processors, have a lock. Athlons were nice, the mobiles at least, as you could get creative cutting and linking the "L" bridges on top of the chip to change the multiplier. Google the topic, as this was really popular a few years ago. A conductive pen and a small drill bit could do wonders.

While your chipset may support it, there is no need for ECC RAM. You don't need it, it will slow down your system slightly. Unless your present RAM is ECC, the EC on an additional stick will be deactivated.

Assuming you have an AGP slot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102730 is likely the best AGP card left.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#10 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

I agree on the 3850. Only problem would be the price. Seems like $125 would buy a lot of other things that would increase your performance more. Kinda like driving an old beater - how long do you keep putting money into it before buying a new one? At some point it's just not worth it. You'll likely spend $300 for the "best of everything" on that board. $300 goes a long way these days to building a new PC. Just look at D3LL...

#11 LedBakery

LedBakery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users