Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where has my disk space gone?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Green Tree

Green Tree

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

Hello,
My laptop has a total disk space of 88.6GB and shows a free space of 15.1. But when I do dir/s on my C-Drive (in Dos Window) or use tools like WinDirStat, the used space is only 18.6G. So where is the remaining space gone. I should actually have 88.6 - 18.6 = 70G available! Running the defragmentor did not do anything either! Could the OS be reserving 70G of disk space as virtual space? If so, how do I reduce this. My virtual paging size is set to 1536M. Ram is 1G.

Appreciate any insight...

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

Try doing the following
start
run
cmd
type chkdsk/f

On the prompt press y and then enter
restart your computer
Did this help any?

Also its possible that you have multiple partitions on your drive and when reformatting your computer, failed to delete them.

#3 Green Tree

Green Tree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:17 AM

chkdsk did not help. No partititions that I am aware of. Here is a partial snapshot of disk management:
Attached File  disk_manager.GIF   6.49KB   18 downloads.
Also diskpart->list disk only lists Disk 0

Here is a partial snapshot of WinDirStat:
Attached File  WinDirStat_directory_breakdown.GIF   3.55KB   14 downloads.
Note that the top most figure shows my total disk usage. Stumped!!!

#4 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:54 AM

Ok So I did some research on the net for this one.

It can either be this:

1. Huge amounts of system restore space + files hidden in your system volume folder (very unlikely)
2. Unpartitioned space
3. Harddrive is physically damaged
4. A huge part of your harddrive is corrupt.

I know this sounds completely generic, but i'd recommend doing chkdsk a couple more times. This time go to my computer, right click your C:/ drive, click properties Tools tab

Click Check Now

click both boxes and restart.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/69352/

Also download this and run a scan and give me a screen cap of it.

http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

What's the total formatted space on the drive?

What's the totat stated size of the hard drive?

TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

What does Disk Management reflect for that drive?

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Louis

#6 Green Tree

Green Tree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:04 AM

I fixed the problem and I have my precious GIG's back! All 70G's of it. The problem was my laptop has lots of Lenova thinkvantage apps. One of them being rescue and recovery. This was the culprit!! It was using up ~59G's of my disk space for system backups. So scissorhands, you were right on!!! Your tool spacemonger led me to unscannable space, which got me thinking and when I followed through, it finally led me to RnR from thinkvantage. I finally had to uninstall this crappy app to get my space back. Although it had the option of deleting old backup's, it just hung when I tried to delete them (even when logged in as pure admin). Might reinstall it and do manual backup management instead of automatic backups. Boy! what a pain this was. Anyways thanks so much for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users