Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard does not work at all---please help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 matter2003

matter2003

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

I have a computer which is having a problem getting an input from a keyboard. Its plugged in via PS2 connection, turn on the computer and nothing happens...no Num Lock, can't do anything with it. I attempt to plug it in all the USB ports on the computer, and still nothing. I take other keyboards that have been working on other computers and nothing. I take the original keyboard that was not working and plug it into another computer and it works fine both via PS2 and USB. Any help on this one? Is it a motherboard issue? Obviously something is wrong as keyboards that work fine aren't working and the non-working keyboard works fine on other computers...

Any help would be appreciated. Computer will boot into windows, etc, but I am trying to re-install windows on the computer and obviously am having a pretty tough time since I can't change the boot menu....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

This may not help you since you mention the keyboard isn't working when plugged into a ps2 port.
But since you mention USB, might as well give it a shot.
Hook it up via USB. Try booting into BIOS. If you can get into BIOS, root around for something that says USB Legacy Support. If it's disabled, enable it, save the change, reboot.
See if the keyboard responds when you reboot.

#3 matter2003

matter2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

This may not help you since you mention the keyboard isn't working when plugged into a ps2 port.
But since you mention USB, might as well give it a shot.
Hook it up via USB. Try booting into BIOS. If you can get into BIOS, root around for something that says USB Legacy Support. If it's disabled, enable it, save the change, reboot.
See if the keyboard responds when you reboot.

I plugged it in via PS2 and via every USB port as well, and it doesn't turn on by any method...the keyboard has a PS2 to USB adapter that came with it, so I have tried every method possible....

Edited by matter2003, 07 December 2008 - 07:25 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:50 PM

Is it a new keyboard, or has it been connected to your pc for a while?
Did you install drivers for the keyboard?
What make and model is the keyboard?

#5 LedBakery

LedBakery

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:35 AM

Try this

Control Panel > Keyboard > Hardware Tab > Properties > Driver Tab > Uninstall

It should ask you to reboot, make sure you keyboard is plugged in via PS2 when rebooting. Windows should automatically detect the added hardware and install the needed driver.

Edited by LedBakery, 08 December 2008 - 08:36 AM.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

Does the keyboard work in the BIOS setup screen? If it does, the above advice is right on.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 jaycee51

jaycee51

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:04 AM

How do u do these things when the keyboard isnt working,,,I'm checking a releatives computer and same prob,, keyboard is inactive,,,,mouse inactive also.

#8 LedBakery

LedBakery

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

If the mouse is working just go to start menu > Control Panel > Keyboard > Hardware Tab > Properties > Driver Tab > Unistall. You don't need a keyboard to uninstall the keyboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users