Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

I will eventually be building a computer, and I have a few questions.

The computer I will be making will be a gaming/virtualization computer, so I want a computer with the following items:

A quad-core processor
A minimum of 4GB of RAM
2 SATA hard drives with a minimum of 500GB each (The second drive is for redundancy)
A Blu-ray writer
An HD monitor
Case lights and window
liquid cooled
High-end video card

I want it to be under $3000, but I'll go up to $5000 if I need to.

What companies supply these parts at a reasonable price, with good quality? What kind of motherboard would I need? Does the case affect which motherboards I can use?

Edited by MadDawg, 07 December 2008 - 09:07 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:16 PM

What companies supply these parts at a reasonable price

You can't beat http://www.newegg.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

A general consumer should not be doing water cooling, too many things can go wrong with it leading to catastrophic failure. Since you built it, you would be to blame. That is if the cooling company didn't have some sort of manufacturing problem. You will get a very powerful PC in that price range. Below is the most powerful PC I have ever put together that will meet your needs and budget. All items come from Newegg.

Case: APEVIA X-TELSTAR-RD Red/ Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer - You need a full tower case to fit in the most powerful video cards. This is a very good looking case. $159

Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - This is a motherboard that supports the latest Intel processors, the i7. One of the features of this motherboard, is that is allows for both SLI and Crossfire. It also uses DDR3 triple channel memory. $338

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB - Get two of these, they are only slightly more expensive than a 500GB. ($89 each) $179

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB - Get two of these if you can afford it. This is the absolute top-of-the-line card...for now. It's huge, powerful, and expensive. ($499 each before the mail-in rebate) $999

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W - A high-quality power supply from a very reputable company. You need as much power as you can get to run all you've got. $259 before a mail-in rebate.

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz - This is the most powerful processor you can get. It has a very high clock-speed and is easier to overclock. This processor is new, so there aren't many good heat sinks available for it. The stock cooler is still good, the only real reason to overclock this thing is for bragging rights. $1,029

Optical Drive: LG Black Blu-Ray Combo Drive - This not only allows for writing and reading of Blu-Ray's but also all the DVD and CD formats. $229

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - Get two of these. You need three memory sticks for triple channel memory. ($214 each) $429

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - You need a 64-bit operating system to use more than 3.5GB of RAM. $99

$3,727

Edited by DJBPace07, 07 December 2008 - 11:15 PM.

3939.png

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:11 PM

Whoa, thanks DJ. That info really helped me out. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the site, garmanma. Now I know where to go if I want to upgrade. :huh:
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users