Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check this out

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Are the tyres on your vehicle safe??

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

:thumbsup:

Wow....just think of all the tires that could be old....

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

Moved where, please?

Thanks so much.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 lilachamster

lilachamster

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:44 AM

Wow, that's scary!

Thanks for sharing.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I used to think I was indecisive.... but now I'm not too sure

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same......

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

#5 gilfisher

gilfisher

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

Important information to know, but...

Did you notice that the majority of the wrecked vehicles were SUVs? The SUV manufacturers have pushed tires to (and beyond) their limits by recommending lower tire pressures to increase ride comfort and "improve" handling (or hide serious handling problems). Very bad idea with overweight "cars". This would be a non-issue if they put truck tires on these vehicles, but they are noisy and the ride is not as smooth.

The report brings up an important issue but it's incomplete and a bit sensationalistic. The tire treads at the side of the road come from tractor trailer tire retreads which are nothing at all like passenger car tires.

That being said, I'm going to crawl under my wife's car with a flashlight now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users