Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS Trojan? Routers or machines?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kaz007

Kaz007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hi guys

I have a very annoying problem which I have noticed recently.....

I am an IT 'techie' and am Microsoft certified, but have run out of ideas on this one!!

The other day, I tried to access the Windows Updates site and keep getting re-directed to msn.com. Any legit Microsoft site, I try to visit , get re-directed elsewhere and any Google search results I want to go to, seem to go via another URL which shows for a few seconds and then disappears.
Have tried to scan using Windows Defender and Norton but cannot find anything.
I read on a forum that there could be a DNS Trojan in my router but I use a BT Home Hub and having spoken to BT, they keep fobbing me off and telling me it is a Microsoft issue-which I know is rubbish. They also keep assuring me that my Hub is secure and there is no way to hack into it-but i dont believe this at all! I know there is nothing in IT as 'secure'.

Anyway, my desktop PC connects to the Hub using an ethernet cable and my laptop is wireless. Both are getting the same issue and all my security stuff is always kept up to date. I'm reluctant to faff with the router incase i mess something up totally.

This is driving me mad now as I want to make sure all the sites i visit are 100% legit and not some spoof sites i am being re-directed to by a potential hacker, messing with my dns settings. i am very wary of entering any personal info now and/or any credit card details. even when accessing this bleepingcomputer site, i got re-directed and get error messages telling me the page cannot be displayed.

i'm not sure if the router is the issue or both machines.

are there any quick fixes for this or anyway to get rid of this issue fully? any help would be great as i am now not able to access most sites due to fear of who may be watching!!

many thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users