Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Technical problems with XP system and/or files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

In the last couple of weeks I've been getting a strange (to me anyway) blue screen that I have not seen before and a couple of other new screens. The first one has these messages: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. **STOP: 0x0000008E (or F4 instead of 8E on another day) (0x0000003,0x859077A8,0x8590791C,0x805c749A)" and "**SMTCPMON.SYS" appeared on one occasion but not the other"

Anyway, that was somewhat self explanatory. However, when I rebooted yesterday morning I got a new screen saying that windows could not start up because of a corrupted system file: windows\system32\config\system. I tried to reboot and reinstall XP, which I do periodically anyway, but then I had a very tough time doing that and it brought me to a "dos like" screen asking which drive I wanted to logon to. I didn't know how, so I ran a chkdsk from there which fixed the system file. Everything seemed to be fine yesterday. Then, I logged on this morning and got what seemed to be a worse screen:

Pheonix Technologies, LTD BASE MEMORY : 640K
System Configurations EXTENDED MEMORY: 1047552K
CPU ID/ ucod ID : OFC2/00 L1 Cache : 128k
CPU CLOCK : 2200 MHz L2 Cache : 128k

Diskette Drive A : 1.44M, 3.5 in.
Pri. Master Disk : LBA, ATA 100,

On this screen the comp just stopped and I got no help and had no clue. So, I took my game cd's out of my burner and dvd, held the power button in (though I hate doing that) and rebooted. The computer is running fine now...but I don't know what's going on lately.

I've worked with computers long enough to know that it's probably something that I am doing. So, I will just say now, in the interest of saving us time, that A. I use several dependable spyware programs and run them regularly. I don't think it's that sort of thing. B. I have only 2.83 gigs left on my drive, so I do have to uninstall a game in order to run defrag which I did just a few weeks ago. And, C. I have only a few xp programs which I don't run because I don't have a powerful pc. These are: Computer browser, error reporting service, fast user switching, Netmeeting remote desktop, Task Scheduler, secondary logon, Webclient, Security Center(i use Netveda Safety net firewall) and auto updates. But, other than these 'minor issues', and I do the maintenance to keep my pc in good health, I have no idea why it's behaving this way. Thank you very much. 'good'

Edited by GoodFortitude, 07 December 2008 - 02:04 PM.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

Change your circumstances; change your mind.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:33 PM

FWIW: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/SecretMaker...hy-t162463.html

Louis

#3 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

It sounds as if its bad RAM. If you continue to get problems I'd look into replacing your ram.

#4 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

Nevermind. Luis hit it on the spot. My bad.

#5 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

:sigh: I swear. thanks guys. I hate spyware. I really hate it. Someone should make a NASTY piece of malware that targets people who make malware. lol But, I guess that's not the right attitude.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

#6 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

I did a search on this...again...and after seeing a few ppl who apparently installed this browser helper intentionally, I found that the main file is smiehlp.dll . That's something I didn't find before and none of my spyware or anti-rootkit software would detect it. So, for anyone else having trouble with "SMTCPMON.SYS" on their pc, this is, i believe, the most important file to rid yourself of.

Edited by GoodFortitude, 07 December 2008 - 04:07 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

What I find amazing...is that there are a ton of websites providing downloads to software and using secretmaker.com as a related link to the developer...but that link leads to nothing :thumbsup:.

It must be a joke :flowers:.

My advice would be not to download anything purporting to be from the designated so named.

Louis

#8 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

I'm still having problems with my pc "crashing" after all. Today I started up my system and just like before right in the middle of the post screen, it crashed to a blue screen with this message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

**Stop: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x857B4860, 0x857B49D4, 0x805C749A)"

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

I'd suggest following the steps at this link to try and find out the cause of the STOP 0xF4 message: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

o.k., wow. Today was the first time in a long time that windows started up properly for me and very fast too. I was really afraid that I was going to have to buy a new hard drive right now. And, just don't have the $ for that now. I seriously appreciate that you wrote that article on diagnosing blue screens usasma. Thanks for the link, very much.

Turns out that it, apparently anyway, was malware after all. I had a couple of particularly bad malware, one spyware and one virus among others. The 3 files I quarantined last night were:

pwisys.ini (I believe that this one was in the windows system or system32 folder, if I'm remembering correctly)

Goodsearchnow 1. C:\WINDOWS\system32\clbdll.dl_

Malicious packer 1. C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntos.ex_

I think that it was the last one causing most of the problems or a combination of the first and last.

It just goes to show that you can't really rely on having multiple free malware scanners, that you more or less have to buy 2 or three really good ones for optimal coverage. I now have 10 of some of the best free versions. Only 1 of them is the purchased complete version. But, NONE of them found the malware. lol , :thumbsup: , lol , :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users