Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32 bit, 64-bit, and my ability to play old games

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 winsordawson

winsordawson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

I was looking into buying a new computer when I came to a page asking me to choose between a 64 bit and 32 bit. Although I was orgianlly persuaded to choose 64 bit because of its continued use in the future, I have found out that 32-bit games will not play on a 64-bit without the necessary drivers. But since I sometimes like playing old games, like Empire Earth I or Total Annihilation, I think I may go with 32-bit.

Will game compatibility down the road be an issue if I use 32-bit but have top-of-the-line video card, RAM, processor, and hard drive? I would rather go with 64 -bit, if anyone has a way to play old games on it. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

I am running 64-bit vista, and I have been able to play older games. I'm not sure how old the games you listed are, but I've been able to play starcraft, diablo 2, and the original command and conquer from I think 1995. They ran no problem, but sometimes it helps if you run them in compatibility mode.

I think you should be alright, and there are probably some fixes you could do anyway if you did run into a problem.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 winsordawson

winsordawson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the help!

#4 winsordawson

winsordawson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:42 AM

If anyone else has any inputs, they're greatly welcomed!

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

I've been using Vista 64-bit since launch and I haven't had any problems related to games. Games should not have to install drivers. When they do, they are usually related to copy protection. WOW64 allows for 32-bit software to run in 64-bit Windows. Really old games, those which use 16-bit code will not run on Vista 64-bit. If the game is extremely old, say from the early 90's, and it can run in a 32-bit environment, you may have other problems. I tried running an old game and my processor was too fast, I had to use a DOS emulator to run it without any issues. This issue is not related to the OS, but to the hardware itself.

3939.png

#6 koalrus

koalrus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

I've tried running Command and Conquer, but I have no luck, in compatibility mode or otherwise. It just automatically stops me as soon as I try to install.

I can understand not actually running an older program, but it's criminal that they don't give you any way to actually install the files onto my computer. If I want a file on my computer, I should be able to put it on there.

If I could install it, my odds of being able to actually play the game would greatly increase.

...and now I'm ranting.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

What happens when you try to install it? I've run the original C&C from my vista ultimate 64-bit machine, even though it is the updated version off the "First Decade" dvd set.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:17 AM

ive had hit and miss with old games on my vista 64 bit machine. for the most part they all work but on occasion I get a really weird incompatibility issue. For example, I have an old rainbow six game and an expansion pack/extras cd for it. the game itself, ran fine no problems, but the expansion pack was incompatible with 64 bit operating systems. go figure. but oh well lol. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users