Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to disable microsoft outlook in service pack 3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LarDog

LarDog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

whenever I attempt to download service pack 3, Outlook starts and dominates the e-mail program and I was wondering how to get rid of it ...without doing any harm to the service pack....or anything else... Me and my wife do not like Outlook...We use Chrome and love it...Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:21 PM

Outlook is a part of MS Office...while Outlook Express is a part of Windows.

The Outlook Express download is totally separate from the XP SP3 download...so I really don't understand what you are saying.

If you want to "remove" Outlook Express from Windows...I don't think that is advised, whether you use it or not. I'm not sure it can actually be removed, I believe it can be disabled or hidden.

http://www.tweakxp.com/article37318.aspx

Louis

#3 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

MY ISP is Earthlink; I prefer their e-mail program to Outlook Express. I have often found that after any Microsoft update or any kind of program app change, whether from Microsoft or not, my browser has been changed from Mozilla Firefox to IE and my e-mail from Earthlink to Outlook Express. I have never used Outlook Express on this computer. I had used Outlook at work and not liked it very much.

Go to "set program access and defaults" after you left-click on "Start program" and use either "custom" or "non-microsoft" as a choice. Next to each of these choices will be 3 down arrows; be sure to click on this. You will be given several choices. You may just have to choose "current" for more than one category.

You may have to reset your defaults fairly frequently at times, I'm afraid. You can also set your computer to ask you what your default e-mail program is every time you boot up or get set to download e-mail. The people at Microsoft are control freaks, and not in a good way. Also the people at Google. They are trying to set access to programs based on their corporate desires and not on your own. I have also found that some websites redirect you to their browser; I frequently scan twice, using 2 different security programs, after this happens, because I don't know whether a site has done this because I try to limit Java usage on my computer or whether it is a sign of infection. fortunately, it almost always hasn't been.

I am not at all a techie. Sometimes several weeks go by when I don't have to change my defaults at all. :thumbsup:

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 07 December 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:32 AM

Make sure Outlook Express is unchecked under add-remove Windows Components. To get to this, go to add-remove programs and on the left side, you'll see several buttons. Click on the one that says add-remove Windows Components.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users