Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen on boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 breakfastcereal

breakfastcereal

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

Can't seem to find the source of this problem, I appreciate your time in helping out.

Had a fine working setup just a few months old, Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz, 1.5 GB of RAM, Geforce 5500 fx w/ 256MB RAM, 250 GB hard drive on AOpen AX4BS motherboard.

This worked fine until one day I decided to reboot, where the computer hung at "Verifying DMI pool data." I took out everything but what I needed to boot and the problem remained. I booted to an ubuntu live cd and used the package ms-sys which is used to fix the windows xp mbr. The problem remained.

For kicks, I tried to install ubuntu on a separate partition. After the install, I get GRUB error 18, which is hard drive cylander exceets BIOS limitation. A very odd error to happen out of nowhere after the install has worked for months. I updated the BIOS to the latest and was able to boot into ubuntu after this, but the xp boot problem still remains. Trying to boot to XP through GRUB still hangs at a black screen.

I'm able to access the xp partition, see, modify, or delete any files from within ubuntu, so the filesystem and hard drive appear to be fine. The MBR does not appear to be at fault because I've already rewritten it. any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

From what I read...ms-sys only rewrites the MBR, it does not rewrite any XP boot files.

If it were me, I would then try using the XP Recovery Console to repair the boot, using either fixboot and/or the bootcfg rebuild command. I don't dual-boot and I have no experience with GRUB...but those are the steps that I would try.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317521

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users