Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no live tv in WMC after SP1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 breakfastcereal

breakfastcereal

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

Everything worked correctly earlier this year when I set up the computer, but now Windows Media Center crashes when trying to do anything using the TV Tuner. Upon searching, I've found the same problem in others, but no solution. Her automatic updates have been on and according to my searches SP1 is the culprit, but I haven't found a solution yet!

Clicking "live tv" gives me this crash message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ehRecvr.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47919381
Fault Module Name: StackHash_54cf
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000096
Exception Offset: 010c2a3b
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 54cf
Additional Information 2: c500e27292092d87fef710a2a2208046
Additional Information 3: a498
Additional Information 4: 10c678106570190d3c42f6488720fd19
Read our privacy statement:

This does not crash the program just the ehRecvr.exe services. Upon playing some more I can sometimes get this error instead:

"Tuner Not Installed"
video cannot be displayed because no tuner hardware has been detected.
Pleast Check that your tuner hardware is properly installed and plugged in.

This thread fits my symptoms exactly: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-music-video/1037290.htm the only difference is different hardware. I seem to have forgotten to add the exact model, but it is a Hauppage brand TV tuner in an HP media center computer. I will repost with more exact hardware information later.

any ideas? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

hi, cornflakes,,, is the tuner card this one ???
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1200 (Model 71xxx, Hybrid DVB-T, No FP)
as this is the one preinstalled in my HP pc,,, i have yet to manage to get it to work, and when you google the card its a bit diferant to the norm,,, and cant find much info,,, my probs are pre sp1 and post sp1,,, have you tried re downloading the drivers of the HP and Hauppauge sites for your card as the sp install could have messed them up maybe,,,, just another thought,,, if you have been inside the pc latley then go back in and make sure the card is firmly seated in the slot.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 breakfastcereal

breakfastcereal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

Sorry I'm still not with the computer yet, but I have tried reinstalling the card and drivers. Any other ideas?

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

yer just one,,, if the card is the same as mine, then its a bag of crap and will not connect to the tv,,,, bin it and get another that will.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 breakfastcereal

breakfastcereal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:40 PM

I don't believe that's the problem as it worked before the SP1 update. I'm surprised you've had trouble with the card, I've read that hauppauge is an excellent brand, unless you're having the same problem I am!

#6 breakfastcereal

breakfastcereal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

I struggled with everything I could but nothing seemed to work, so I bit the bullet and contacted microsoft support. It was slow and tedious, and was a grammatical nightmare, but surprisingly they were able to solve my problem.

It seems Data Execution Prevention decided to kill the ehRecvr.exe service for some reason. Disabling DEP did the trick. To do that in windows vista you must:

- open the command prompt as administrator
Start menu > all programs > accessories. Right click on Command prompt and click run as administrator.

- In the command prompt, run the command "Bcdedit /set nx alwaysoff" without the quotes.

- Watch Live TV in Windows Media Center!

I've left DEP deactivated. Is that unsafe? Anyone else that may want to reactivate it can do so with the command "Bcdedit /set nx alwayson"

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

DEP is a good feature - but when it goes bad it's a genuine pain!
As long as you're sure about there being no malware on your system you should be good - but I'd keep a sharp eye out for malware from now on.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users