Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can ping but IE and FireFox do not work

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 tacallah

tacallah

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:54 AM

I had a computer that was severely infected with malware and viruses. The computer is now clean. Everything appears to work fine except for Internet Explorer 7 and FireFox. Below is a summary of the problem:
  • Internet Explorer loads up but going to any website gives me the "web site found. Waiting for reply." in the status bar. The CPU utilization shoots up to 100% with IExplorer.exe taking up around 80% of it. Eventually, IE times out.
  • Firefox never comes up. Must use Task Manager to End Task.
  • Can ping websites from DOS prompt either by IP or domain names.
  • Files are being downloaded from the Internet via Windows Update. My virus program can update virus definitions from the Internet.
Here are something things that I have tried:
  • Uninstalled IE 7 and tried the same thing in IE 6. Same result.
  • Installed FireFox 2. When clicking on the FireFox icon, the browser never appears. The CPU utilization shoots up to 100% with FireFox.exe taking up most of CPU.
  • Tried booting from the original Windows XP CD and choosing the repair option. This did not help.
  • Tried sfc /scannow. After rebooting, there was no difference.
  • Downloaded XP SP3 and installed it. That did not work.
Originally, I posted my problem on the "HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal" forum. With the help of a technician, we verified that the computer has no malware or virus or at least it appears to be that way. Below is link to the topic from the "HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal" forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/179710/ie-and-firefox-hang-upon-start/

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:49 PM

Do you have an active firewall? Try disabling it and seeing if they work.

#3 tacallah

tacallah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

Hi xblindx!

I have disabled the Windows XP firewall, and IE and FireFox still do not work.

I am connected to a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster (model WRT54GS v1.52.5). I have four computers hooked up to it and one network printer. All the other computers can connect to the Internet without any problems.

The Linksys router has a built in firewall. Are you suggesting to disable the router's firewall? I believe the only way to that is to plug the computer directly to the modem.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

I was referring to whichever firewall you had installed on the co outer. Since disabling it didn't work, I'll have to do a little more looking and get back to you soon.

#5 tacallah

tacallah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:25 PM

xblindx,

Have you had a chance to do more research into my problem? I would rather not reformat and reinstall Windows XP, but it looks like that may be my only option. I hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks for the help!

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

I really apologize for not being able to get back to you. I have had track meets past week and tomorrow. I hope to get back to you then.

#7 tacallah

tacallah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

xblindx,

There is no need to apologize. I realize that you are doing this on a volunteer basis. I really appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to help me.

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:29 AM

This is a pretty strange sounding issue to me. Since FireFox never opens, there could be a problem with that. It is a known issue to some people and to Mozilla. Could you please try and update to FireFox 3 (you can download the file to a flash drive from a different computer and transfer it over to the one with issues)? This will rule out a FireFox bug if it still continues to not open. Since your anti-virus programs and Windows Updates work, this rules out connection loss. For now just try updating FF and tell me what results you get.

Now, to lighten up the day, my favorite smiley ---> :thumbsup:

#9 tacallah

tacallah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:38 PM

I uninstalled FireFox 2. Afterwards, I downloaded and installed FireFox 3.0.4. Running FireFox 3.0.4 exhibits the same behavior. FireFox.exe uses up nearly 100% of the CPU and never comes up. I had to pull up Task Manager and do an "End Task".

#10 IrishGuy74

IrishGuy74

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

Very same with me on my Laptop..I use Firefox ..I tried using IE which worked for a short time..Now neither open :thumbsup:

I can ping an Ip address but not a Website name??

Edited by rishGuy74, 16 December 2008 - 10:35 AM.

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

Ha. I forgot about this to try.

Taken from here

If Firefox previously worked but suddenly doesn't start, it may be due to some corrupt data in your settings. Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox would not fix this problem because your settings are not removed on uninstall.

To test to see if this is the problem, use the Profile Managerto create a new profile. If the problem goes away, you can then move your bookmarks and other important settings into the new profile.

#12 tacallah

tacallah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

I created a new user with administrator rights. I logged in as the new user, and FireFox still never comes up. IE comes up, but it cannot connect to any website. In other words, the new account does the same thing as the other account. I appreciate the ideas!

#13 tacallah

tacallah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

IrishGuy74,

Your problem is not the same as mine. I can ping by IP or website name. You might be better served creating a new thread. I am no expert, but it sounds like your problem is a DNS problem. Here are some things to check out.
  • Try reseting your router and modem or disabling your firewall temporarily.
  • Type IpConfig /All at the DOS prompt should show your ISP's IP for the DNS entry.
  • Make sure that your hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc does not contain any weird entries.
  • While searching the Internet, I found that uninstalling Windows XP 3 may help. Of course, I would recommend that you do research before doing that.
  • Hopefully, you have a good virus protecting program because that is how I got into trouble with my computer.

#14 IrishGuy74

IrishGuy74

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

IrishGuy74,

Your problem is not the same as mine. I can ping by IP or website name. You might be better served creating a new thread. I am no expert, but it sounds like your problem is a DNS problem. Here are some things to check out.

• Try reseting your router and modem or disabling your firewall temporarily.
  • Type IpConfig /All at the DOS prompt should show your ISP's IP for the DNS entry.
  • Make sure that your hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc does not contain any weird entries.
  • While searching the Internet, I found that uninstalling Windows XP 3 may help. Of course, I would recommend that you do research before doing that.
  • Hopefully, you have a good virus protecting program because that is how I got into trouble with my computer.

Thank you, I'll try that :thumbsup:

What do you mean by Weird entries??

Edited by IrishGuy74, 18 December 2008 - 11:40 AM.

#15 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

I created a new user with administrator rights. I logged in as the new user, and FireFox still never comes up. IE comes up, but it cannot connect to any website. In other words, the new account does the same thing as the other account. I appreciate the ideas!

You misunderstood. You create a new firefox profile, not a new user account on XP. Follow the directions I gave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users