- Internet Explorer loads up but going to any website gives me the "web site found. Waiting for reply." in the status bar. The CPU utilization shoots up to 100% with IExplorer.exe taking up around 80% of it. Eventually, IE times out.
- Firefox never comes up. Must use Task Manager to End Task.
- Can ping websites from DOS prompt either by IP or domain names.
- Files are being downloaded from the Internet via Windows Update. My virus program can update virus definitions from the Internet.
- Uninstalled IE 7 and tried the same thing in IE 6. Same result.
- Installed FireFox 2. When clicking on the FireFox icon, the browser never appears. The CPU utilization shoots up to 100% with FireFox.exe taking up most of CPU.
- Tried booting from the original Windows XP CD and choosing the repair option. This did not help.
- Tried sfc /scannow. After rebooting, there was no difference.
- Downloaded XP SP3 and installed it. That did not work.
Thanks in advance for your help!