Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error in XP home

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:50 AM

My problem first starts off with windows not completely loading or loading properly (I only see my desktop background). I get this error:

Userini.exe Application error
The application failed to initialize properly. (0x0000005) Click OK to terminate the Application

I have to open Task manager with CTRL+ALT_DEL and open a new task=>My Documents before the rest of windows will load. Before My documents open I get this error:

Windows cannot find %idlist,:528:892,C:\documents: Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.

I checked the event viewer for errors and I only see two from when I initially booted. They are

the following boot-start or system -start driver(s) failed to load. FtSata2

The task scheduled service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I also cannot open any .exe, add new program list, regedit, msconfig, system restore or CMD.

Seeing that I cannot open any exe I cant scan for infections or even check for a rouge program that may have installed itself in the program list. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem without a format. Can I reinstall XP with out losing any data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

Can you start in safemode?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

Worth reading: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-38489.html

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

In the Device Manager try setting the Startup Type for the ftsata2 to demand.

Go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager> View> Show Hidden Devices> Non Plug and Play Drivers> ftsata2> Startup Type and set to Demand.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

scissorhands7, Yes I can start in Safe mode I have the same problem there as well.

DC3, My device manager will not open either

Hamluis, I figured it is an infection. Yes it is userinit.exe not userini.exe as I previously stated. My apologies I missed the "T". However I cant get any programs to start because none of the .exe will launch either on my desktop or in the program folder. I will try the reg. mechanic as suggested in your link and let you all know how it goes.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

The following is a disclaimer for a free download of Registry Mechanic 6.

We’re giving away the commercial version of PC Tools Registry Mechanic 6 , a fully-featured system optimisation utility.

READ THIS FIRST BEFORE PROCEEDING

* When you go to the link below, follow all instructions provided by PC Tools
* Read the General terms and conditions before downloading, and note that we do not provide any technical assistance or support whatsoever
* We strongly recommend you back-up any important files on your computer and that you set a System Restore point (for Windows XP or Vista users) before installing the software

The staff here generally doesn't endorse the use of registry cleaners, the benefits are minimal at best, and the possibility of turning your computer into a door stop is very real.

Can you access the Device Manager in Safe Mode, or run any scans from there?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

My posting of that link was not meant to convey and endorsement of everything suggested...I just find that various links provide more information from varied sources (some of whom are on target, some are not) than I can.

"Worth reading" is not the same as "Do this" :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

Can you see the start menu when you boot in safemode?

#9 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

Scissorhands7 and DC3, After the Userinit.exe error I can see the start menu. However I still can not run any EXE at all in safe mode same as in normal mode. Still no device manager either.

Is it safe to reinstall XP over top of my previous installation w/o losing any data?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:41 AM

If you make a installation over the previous one you will lose all of your data and applications that are part of the previous Windows installation.

If you have the Windows Startup CD try this.

Recovery Console from a Windows Startup CD

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

It this fails, you can alway do a Repair Installation, you should be able to do this without losing your data.

You haven't indicated what type of computer you have, laptop or desktop, so I can't make any specific suggestions, but you can alway connect you hdd either as a slave or external and transfer files to a removable media which you can then reinstall if you have a loss of data while doing the repair installation.

#11 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

Sorry for the lack of info I am at the library so exact info like model# slips my mind. I have a Dell Inspiron desk top, probably about 6 yars old, running windows xp home with sp3. I do have the system disk. So it should make things easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users