Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certain Sites Don't Load at Certain Times

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SaGe14

SaGe14

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:00 AM

Hello,

I'm having a very strange problem with my internet connection. Some sites simply don't load for various periods of time. About three or four months ago Veoh.com simply didn't work. Ever. The site wasn't down, I just couldn't connect to it; all my attempts timed out (with firefox, IE, and Opera). Then one day I tried it and it worked, which lasted for about a week. Then it stopped working again, and stayed that way for a while and now it works again. However, now newegg.com has only worked about 5% of the times I've tried over the past week or two; it simply won't work for a couple of days, then it will work one morning but not later that same day, etc. I have absolutely no clue what could be causing this problem.

*I'm running Windows XP Pro 64-bit (though I'm fairly sure I had this problem on other operating systems, at least XP/Vista 32-bit and I think even on linux. I just put XP 64-bit on here like a month ago.
*I have a 100Mbps wired connection (The University of Pittsburgh's "PittNet")
*I also have a wirelessly connected laptop that doesn't have this problem. It's on the same network (or maybe it being wireless is significant?) but can connect to the sites when my other computer can't.
*I've updated Java and my hosts file is exactly as it was when I loaded the OS.
*I'm not running a firewall, I do have antivir premium security suite but I don't keep it running in the background. I'm pretty sure it's not a virus though, and I've scanned with Spybot and Ad-Aware 2008 Pro and gotten rid of whatever spyware there was (if any).

That's all the relevant information I can think of; sorry if I forgot anything.

Anyways, I have absolutely no idea what's wrong but it's getting pretty annoying, so I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who could help me with this.

Thanks a lot!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:08 AM

Two things to try.

Go to start - run and type cmd

In the command line type "ipconfig/flushdns" without the quotations.

Tell me if that works, if not then try changing your DNS servers

You can change your DNS server address in your router or network card.Two free servers are opendns.com "208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220".
DNS advantage.com " 156.154.70.1 and 156.154.71.1".
These are often much better and faster than your ISP's DNS .

#3 SaGe14

SaGe14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

Thank you so much!

Switching to the opendns.com IP's fixed the problem. I tried switching it back to "Automatically detect DNS settings" or whatever and newegg had stopped working, so it's defintely not just a coincidence.

Wish I'd posted this thread a month ago! Thanks again.

#4 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

No Problem man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users