Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Trigger removal and now no internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rok3269

rok3269

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

I am working on a friends computer that has no internet connectivity and runs slowly.
I ran a test of his system and found he had Virus Trigger virus on his system.

I ran multiple scans using the following;

Malbytes anti malware program, Spybot Search & Destroy & AVG Anti Virus, smit fix, virtumonde fix, zlob removal, and finally combo fix.

After the scan with Malbytes, I removed the hard drive from his computer and ran a scan with Spybot Search & Destroy & AVG Anti Virus from another machine with his drive as a slave.

After that I reinstalled the drive back into his PC and scanned with smit fix, virtumonde fix, zlob removal, and finally combo fix.

The following were removed from the system;

virtrigger.com

Zlob trojan - 35 entries

16 other minor malware programs

2 - *.dll files

I also tried doing a netsh winsock reset from a command prompt but it is just sitting there and i can't tell if it completed yet or not.

When I check the status of his internet connection it says that he is connected, but, there are 50 packets outbound and no inbound packets.

I also have tried to remove norton from his machine as it is expired, but his pc stalls when running due to having a 900+ mhz cpu and only 384 mb ram. (Norton removal doesn't want to work, neither does the uninstall feature in norton)

I added ram to bring him up to 512MB, but it isn't helping his pc very much. (he is running pc100/133 ram)

The biggest problem is that he still has no internet connection and I cannot find anything else wrong with it. I have rebuilt the tcp/ip stack twice already to no avail.
The only program I haven't run yet is the winsock fix, but I figured that the netsh winsock reset would be about the same thing.

I don't know the make of the computer but I do know that it is a P3 999 mhz cpu running win xp home w/ 512MB pc133 ram.

Any help at this point is greatly appreciated, my friend is almost 80 yrs old, his wife is in a nursing home, and I have been helping him out around the house so he has time to go see his wife.

thanx in advance for your help
Mario

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rok3269

rok3269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

Well after 9 days without so much as a 'hey schmuck, wrong topic!!' or a ' we are reviewing your problem please be patient', I have decided to go somewhere else for help.

And before you post about how busy everyone is, consider this, problems posted 2 days after mine have already been fixed, as are problems posted 2 days ago while I haven't received anything.

Very surprising considering that this forum was recommended to me by others who have been helped by your service, and sing the praises of how quickly their problems are resolved.

I WILL NOT be including your site as a recommended "Go To" for people with problems.

Good Luck in the Future
rok3269

p.s.
If you decide to take the 'mushroom' approach and remove this posting, I understand.. keep 'em in the dark about problems... how very 'American Big Business'

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

Hi rok3269,

Something you will find if you had stayed at BC, is that we fess up to every mistake we make and defend every decision we make. We do not hide behind the ability to delete other's posts.

What most people do not understand is that the site is run by, and the questions answered by, volunteers. There are only so many of us and each of us have our own particular skill set and areas of expertise. At the time you posted your question there may not have been anyone who had the knowledge to help you. We get a lot of posts, and your topic was unfortunately most likely lost in the pile of other requests for help.

This is obviously not a good thing, but this is a reality that you deal with when using any forum that is run by volunteers. There are only so many of us, only so many hours in the day, and personal lives to attend to. This means that sometimes people's questions do not get answered. Unfortunately, yours was one of those.

Simply put we do the best we can. For you, this is obviously not good enough.

So I wish you well in receiving the help you need at another site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users