Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Admin preventing reinstallation of XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fviruses13

fviruses13

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:23 PM

I had a virus that I can't get rid of, so I'm looking to reinstall windows XP. I don't have the windows reinstall cd, therefore, I don't have the key code. I looked online and went through unattend to find the key, so I have my key code now. I'm trying to reinstall windows XP through WINNT32, however, I keep getting the pop up "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation? Does anyone have any suggestions for me in getting by this pop up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

You currently have an open topic in Am I Infected?

Are you reinstalling XP because of the issues mentioned there?
If the reinstall process has not knocked out your ability to connect to the internet on the infected computer, you may want to follow through with that topic. The malware removal experts will guide you through the clean-up process.

If you don't want to continue the clean-up process, please let us know so that topic can be closed.

#3 fviruses13

fviruses13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:17 PM

Feel free to close out the other sessions. I don't beleive I can do anything else but try and reinstall windows XP. I can't get online and my computer is running really slow unless I'm in "Safe Mode." Now I'm trying to reinstall windows XP through WINNT32, however, the system admin won't allow it?

Also, I'm new at this whole "fixing your computer thing and engaging in conversation through forums", so if I'm not in the right forum please let me know.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:48 PM

FWIW: If you have virus problems, the solution is a clean install. A clean install is a deletion of the previous Windows partition and anything in/on said partitions.

You cannot do a clean install from any existing Windows install.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

<<I looked online and went through unattend to find the key,>>

I have no idea what you are talking about :thumbsup:, but...you can use a tool called SIW to see/write down your installed XP key.

SIW Download - http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html Windows Key info appears under the Software/Licenses data.

If you have a valid license/key, you can borrow someone else's CD (or have them burn you a copy) and use said disk to do the install. Your key/license is the vital component of the install equation, not the media used. Of course...you must use an XP install CD that corresponds to your license (Home for Home, Pro for Pro).

Louis

#5 fviruses13

fviruses13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

Louis,

I don't have an XP install CD, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way I can install Windows XP at this time is through WINNT32?

Also, when I stated that I found the product key online, I meant to say that I found the steps to find the product key if you don't have the Windows XP install CD with the product key on it.

Here is the path:

My computer > HP_PAVILION : > WINDOWS > I386 > UNATTEND > Scroll to the bottom and you get "ProductKey"

As for downloading SIW to find the product key.....I can't get online. I really can't do anything at this point. I've been trying to re-install Windows XP in "Safe Mode" and I keep getting blocked from the Administrator. Now I'm trying to install Windows XP in regular mode through WINNT32 and it just says "Preparing to install...." with the hour glass just sitting there.

If I can't figure it out within in the next day or say I might just have to take it to Best Buy and have the Geek Squad work on it?

All this because I opened an email from a friend with a VirusRespone Lab 2009 virus, hence, my display name!

Edited by fviruses13, 06 December 2008 - 11:33 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:47 AM

Do you have a recovery partition on your computer?
Manufacturers have been using the partition method instead of including disks.

Easy to find out. Open up My Computer. Under Hard Disk Drives, do you see another drive in addition to Drive C? If you do, that should be the recovery partition. You can try the install from that partition. For more information, and a step-by-step guide see this: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP

If your My Computer isn't listed by Type:
at the top of the page click on View, arrange icons by type, choose Type, Show in groups.

You can also make 1 set of the recovery on disks. You'll need a lot of them-my Compaq took 14 or 16. Instructions for making a set are HERE:HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Creating Recovery Disc Set in Windows XP

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 December 2008 - 02:01 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

If you want to take your system to Best Buy...that's your choice. It's your money and your system and if that is the only way you feel capable of handling this...so be it.

It would probably be less expensive if you did as was previously suggested regarding borrowing a copy of the XP version you have installed...and then completed a clean install.

As for not being able to download SIW...you don't know anyone else with a computer who can do this task for you? The download can be put on CD, etc. by anyone. Since you can get into safe mode, it can then be installed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users