Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD or HD with External Enclosure?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

I have a WD 500 gig external HD. I wanted to upgrade to a 1TB HD but I dont know which way to go. I was going to just get another WD off ebay but then I came across someone talking about getting a (i think internal) HD and put it in an external enclosure because you get better speed and other perks. Im going to be using this for storage of movies, music, etc. Any recommendations on what I should do would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:58 PM

Same functions with either. IMO, external drives are made by manufacturers to appeal to those who just want convenience and who aren't aware that they can do the same thing for themselves...possibly cheaper than whatever they pay for those "external" drives sold as such..

Matter of personal preference.

FWIW: I saw that Newegg was selling 1TB hard drives for $100 a few days ago, so I see no reason to consider expending more than $120-130 for any "external" drive when you can spend that on a large drive and a USB enclosure.

Louis

#3 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

Sounds good. Im looking at enclosures and I seem to like the Icy Dock ones. But the one im looking at doesnt have a built in fan. It says it uses "Aluminum heat dispersion w/ top ventilation panel" If this drive is going to stay on most of the day, should I have a fan or does it matter?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

Well...my experience with USB 2.0 enclosures tells me that

a. Get one with power supply and on/off switch on the enclosure.

b. Get one with fan.

c. Read directions for using enclosure, if any.

d. Realize that the enclosure itself is the weak link, not the hard drive.

Louis

#5 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

I was looking at hardrives and this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284) seems to be a good one. Now i was looking for a good enclosure for it. I was looking for a firewire one (because I heard it was better than USB 2.0 and my computer has a small 1394 input) . I just dont know what the good brands are. Any ideas?

Edited by Dr. Joe, 08 December 2008 - 09:24 AM.

#6 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

any ideas?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

This is the one I use with an IDE drive, I like it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817145656
:thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

I stopped using externals when hard drives reached the gigantic size. I just remove the hard drive from the system and put it back in the clamshell when I want to store files semi-permanently.

Louis

#9 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:31 AM

This is the one I got from CompUSA. Very easy to open and it'll work with both IDE and Sata drives.

HDD Enclosure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users