Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to delete photos

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 unclemarine

unclemarine

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:29 PM

I have"Kodak EasyShare" software on my Dell Dimension #2400. The program is on the C: drive "40GB".
This is what I have been doing, I download the digital photos from the camera directly to the software on the C: drive after editing them, I then drag them to the F: drive (WD external drive "250GB). I them delete them from the C: drive because with only a 40G drive it fills up fast. To date I have followed this same procedure with over 42 folders of photos (Appr. 3500 Photos). Download to C:, edit, drag to F:, delete from C: no problems. Now with this last time, download from camera to Software (C; drive) edit, drag to F: but when I went to delete, all photos (871) in the folder #43 C: drive, had a zig zag line thru them. I clicked on select all, then clicked on delete The delete prosses did it thing ie. box came up (Do you want to send these photos to the recycle bin),answer yes, but when I clicked on the recycle bin there were no photos in the recycle bin. When I clicked back to the folder #43 the photos had returned?? I went thru this delete thing several times, each time, same photos dissapeared when deleted but folder still said 871 photos, recycle bin still empty, click back to folder, photos back again.
I need some big time help here.
UncleMarine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

Is the Kodak EasyShare software running, when you try to delete the folder?
If it is, try exiting the program, then deleting the folder.

Have you tried deleting it, in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Have you checked the folder's Properties?
Right click the folder, and select Properties.
Make sure it's not set to, Read-only.
If it is, uncheck it, click Apply, and click OK.
Now try to delete it.

Have you tried renaming the file, then deleting it?
Name it anything you want, like trash, old, useless, ........ whatever.

If none of the above works, here are a couple of programs, you can try:
Unlocker
Eraser
Delete Doctor

There's also this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article that might be helpful:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP

The Kodak software has been problematic for as long as I can remember.
I would suggest using another program, for your image editing.
You can find several alternatives in the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic, under the Graphics Design & Editing heading, in Post #3.
I prefer Irfanview.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

It might be interesting to see what happens if you, for example, highlight 15 or so photos in the folder and then delete these. Sometimes a really massive delete hangs up because of its sheer size.
You can use ERASER (mentioned above) to completely erase the files; I have had success with this process when simply deleting something does not work.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 unclemarine

unclemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

1911 and jqweed:
Thanks for your comments.
The way the "Easy Share" software works is, when you download the photos to the program it creates a folder which you name, all the folders that are created when you download, are on in a window within the program. To edid you drag or highlight them to an area on the right side of the window and click a botton to either edit, view as a slide show or delete etc. etc.
I have not done any of the things that you guys have suggested, but I will try some of then that are relevant. The first thing I will try is just to select a few photos to delete and see if that has any impact on the problem. Will keep you posted on and any progress I make
Thanks once again.
UncleMarine

Edited by unclemarine, 07 December 2008 - 05:01 PM.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

Kodak EasyShare - AAAARGH

Personally I have had XP meltdowns on 2 desktops in which this programme was implicated (trying to get into forbidden areas). If you Google it, you will get multitudinous hits about problems.

My heartfelt advice is to use REVO Uninstaller to totally get rid of it from your system, stomp on the installation CD and dump it. Windows will handle your loading onto your PC just fine.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

You're welcome, unclemarine.
Keep us posted.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 unclemarine

unclemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

tq1911, jqweed, and rowal5555:
Yesterday trying to implament some of your tips, the program crashed several times. so I just unstalled it and solved all my headaches with this software.
I do have "Photoshop Elements 2" which is a great deal more complex then the Kodak "Easy Share" software, but I guess I will just have to learn to use it. I'm 83 years old so learning comes a lot slower now then it did years ago.
I did enjoy the simplicity of the "Easy Share" because the editing that I do is very minimal, croping, red-eye reduction, lighten and darken etc.. In addition I will have to find some way to catalogue and file the photos which also was very handy with the Kodak software.
I do again thank all who offered suggestions and I will not hesitate to return to you guys if I need more help.
UncleMarine

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

Hi unclemarine.

You may like to look at this one
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/freesoftw...oto-Gallery.htm

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:24 AM

For basic editing, and ease of use, Irfanview is hard to beat, and free. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users