Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power User vs. Administrator in XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 elinatim

elinatim

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

I am new to Windows XP. Microsoft advises W2K users not to go online with administrator privileges. This is okay, because Power Users can do most of what needs to be done, so there is not a lot of logging off and on. (Am I right in thinking that it is okay for Power Users to go online?)

On my XP workstation, however, I am unable even to install Adobe's Acrobat Reader as a power user. Am I set up wrong or is this by design? If it is by design, how am I supposed to get any work done? Any time I need a download, I have to pull down the file, then log off, then log on as an administrator, then install the file, then log off, then log on again as myself. Does anyone else see this as a pain in the neck?

Am I missing something that could make my life easier?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 falcon1

falcon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:17 PM

I am NEW to XP-Home Edition, I run a single computer with a few accounts, I too having similar problem?

I would Like to share my "Editing Program" for all the limited accounts without having to download it or copy it to every account, or even share selected shortcuts to my limited accounts?
Anyone tell me how to "share Programs" I found out to share files or documents ...I guess but not absolutely sure I need to put them in the "SHARED FOLDER"?

Do I put the "Editing Program" i want to share in the shred Documents folder?
I tried to copy the short-cut for it and put it in my limited user account, Then i logged of of that account and logged back into the limited account and double clicked the short-cut ,nothing happened?

Anyone advise me on this ,? Seems like a simple problem?
In a World without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users