Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strangest thing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ragtop69GS

Ragtop69GS

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

Strangest thing started occuring today. Everytime I move my mouse, Windows media player 11 starts. I click the x to close it and as soon as I move the mouse it restarts or comes back to the top! Any ideas on how to fix this? I tried going back to a restore point from yesterday, didn't help. The only thing I may have done to cause this is I downloaded a screensaver from the National street rod assocaition web site. I tried to uninstall it but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:07 AM

hi,,, where do you have your downloads set to go to,,, mine go to the desktop,, are yours in downloads in the user file in start menu,,, have a look in there,,, and delete it if you find it,,, also try use the search in start menu,,, use advanced search,,, put the name in ,,etc,, also run a scan with all your security just incase,,, try malwarebytes or sas free versions,,, also look in device manager for pointing devices or what ever the mouse comes under and uninstall the drivers for it and reboot,,, this will put the drivers back,,, incase they have being corupted,,,,
good luck.
ps,,, make sure you do the scans,,, nasties usually mess with your mouse,,, ie ,, it starts moving on its own and stuff.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Ragtop69GS

Ragtop69GS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran several different scans for bugs and such with nothing found. I figured what the heck, lets try replacing the wireless mouse with a wired one.... guess what, it cured the problem! Go figure? Shudda tried that first eh?

Thanks again, Hope your holidays are great

#4 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

double check the driver for the mouse to make sure it's cleared for VISTA...some XP mouse will run but will act goofy...

also double check the batteries in it...sometimes leaking from lack of use or just plain being old batts will do that.

one last thing: assuming it is a VISTA driver try updateing it...printers go wonky with old drivers so why not mouse?

Great on getting wired to work, but that kinda defeats the purpose of wireless doesn't it?

#5 Ragtop69GS

Ragtop69GS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:03 AM

I have been using the wireless mouse since I bought this vista box in June, could not get the keyboard to work under vista but mouse was fine till the other day. It's been my experience that the mouse just goes dead when the batteries are depleted.

Im still on the fence about Vista. Some days it's ok, others I want to pitch it out the window :huh:

#6 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

LOL that would be a typical response to a typical WIN machine ;)

not so much depleted on batts, but being low will sometimes do that....do try an updated driver though. No WIN computer is ever ready to use "right out of the box" my VISTA laptop needed 21 hours of update DL and install to be "useable" and it shipped with SP 1 pre-installed :huh:

#7 Ragtop69GS

Ragtop69GS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

When I setup this comp. logitech had no vista driver for my KB & mouse, I looked again yesterday and they just released a vista driver on 12/2 . I D/L and installed it, working good now. Installing anything while using Comodo's firewall is always a challenge but works well once completed.

I went through the same thing with the updates to every program and hardware. Never did find a driver for my Acer scanner :huh: it's been religated to the computer mueseum in the garage, I still have the old Radio Shack casette drive TRS 80 out there. That's PRE harddrive days (C.) 1980 or so. :huh:

#8 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

I just had a feeling it was a driver issue ;)

Congrats on a fix!!

--tape drives...wow...Dark ages of computing right up there with ARAPANET O_O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users