Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows live one care replacement for xp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 robtonet

robtonet

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

title and description speak for themselves.......my free version of windows live onecare is expiring......ms if giving up on it....apparntelty -but the replacment is not out yet.......so i would like to pull down something similier and free that is very workable for xp ---thank you all

Edited by garmanma, 06 December 2008 - 08:16 PM.
email address removed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

"Windows Live OneCare is the all-in-one software that helps keep your PC safe and secure. From virus scanning, to automatic backup of important files, to automatic printing sharing for all the PCs in your household, OneCare helps manage it all for you. And it's delivered to you in a smooth, hassle-free package."

The above is the blurb for WLOC...I've never used it or entertained the idea...but I find it very easy to believe that Microsoft is dropping it.

IMO, it's ridiculous to expect that one program can do all those things...effectively. But people are always looking for easy, simple answers...to a bevy of complicated situations/problems.

The key manager of any PC is...the user.

A user can look around and find a good application to do one or maybe two critical functions by itself.

There are freeware, competent/good apps available to address each of the functions included in the WLOC blurb above.

Virus scanning...backups...printer sharing is built into every version of XP sold or pirated...the user is the manager of the system.

I'll tell you what I use, others will vary.

Avira Free (AntiVir Personal Edition) is my choice of AV program.

Although I don't see any mention of such in the blurb, a user also needs (IMO) at least two antimalware programs (antimalware is NOT the same as AV)...the two I choose are SUPERAntispyware and Spybot S&D. I also use Windows Defender (because I like it), although others question its value.

There are so many backup programs/techniquest that I will only ask you to Google and type "backup" and note the response. Some include scheduling, incremental backups, and other ideas which they think will be appealing to a given set of users. XP has it's own backup program, NTBackup.

I choose to use Powerquest Drive Image 2002 (now owned by Symantec and incorporated into today's version of Norton Ghost) to make disk images of my C: partition routinely.

I don't make a backup of my data files on other drives because I have them on separate drives and...most of them are not "personal treasures", just data files I like having around (movies, sports events, music). I have multiple hard drives (some used all the time, some used just for data storage) and I treat them as my backup of these data files. I could burn them all to DVD...but it's easier for me just put them on drives which I don't use all the time.

I've already commented on printer sharing, hard for me to believe that there is anything tricky about that...which requires a special app to deal with it.

I guess that I don't ever want any application installed...which purports to "manage it all" for me, I'm the user of my two systems and no program can ever do as effective a job of "managing" multiple functions/aspects of my systems...as I do. To me, it's part of the fun of having a PC.

FWIW: Future Microsoft software will probably be written for Vista, not XP...just something to think about.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users