Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing file: system32\hal.dll

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave_Taurus

Dave_Taurus

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hi there,

I was just trying to clean up my parents' PC and it crashed while deleting a temporary internet files folder. Now Windows XP won't start because it can't locate the file system32\hal.dll.

All of the advice I've seen online seems to suggest that I'll need a windows recovery disc to replace the file, but my parents don't appear to have been given one.

I'm typing this from my wife's laptop. Is there any way of getting the file from here to my parents' PC?
Any advice would be really gratefully received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

Can you start the computer in safemode?

If so go to start - run - type sfc/scanow
Put in your xp disc

If not boot from your xp cd and hit r for repair and type the same command

#3 Dave_Taurus

Dave_Taurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

I can't start in safe mode, no, and unfortunately I don't have an XP disc either (the computer arrived from Dell with XP installed and no disc). I've also just noticed that it doesn't have a floppy drive (I was just about to try copying the file from my wife's PC via floppy).

#4 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

Try calling dell on the phone and requesting that they give you a disk of xp for reinstallation and a disk for your drivers. I'm sure if you explain the problem and give them your service number they'd give it to you.

Though if it doesn't boot in safe mode and you don't have the xp disk there's really not a ton I personally can do to help

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:58 PM

Exact error message, please? When does it appear onscreen?

Manufacturer and model for the system in question?

Louis

#6 Dave_Taurus

Dave_Taurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

Sorry for not replying sooner and thanks for trying to help, but it now appears that the hard drive is broken or something. I eventually found a Windows XP installation disc and tried to expand the hal.dll file across to the hard drive, but it didn't work. I tried running chkdsk too, but it said there were too many unrecoverable errors. Then I tried reinstalling XP from the disc and it reckons that the hard drive is broken or corrupt or something and needs reformatting.

So now I'm looking into ways of getting hold of the data that's on it so I can reformat and reinstall. :thumbsup:

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:00 PM

Dell recovery without CD. At the bottom of the page is a link to get recovery CD's. Last time I did it there was no charge

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

Another option to getting your files is to removing your hard drive and slaving it to another computer.

Additionally you can always buy this tool and just connect it to a working computer through the usb drive. Then you can just drag and drop the files you want before reformatting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812156102

25 bucks and free shipping, its not a bad tool to have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users