Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where in the HD are the folders "My documents" & "My pictures"?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

As some of you may know from my previous post. My old computer went south and I had to remove the hard drive to transfer the files to the new computer. Now I have the old HD in a USB enclosure but I can't find those 2 folders mentioned above in the disk. Also if my old computer had a virus/malware wouldn't the virus be present in the HD? So far my new computer using AVG hasn't detected any virus yet from that drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\My Pictures

#3 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:49 PM

Ok I see the folder now, but when I try to open it I get a message that says I have no permission to access it (or something of that nature) what is this all about and how can I get "permission" to open it? I never did set up any kind of passwords to access that folder before. Thanks

#4 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:11 AM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144102(VS.85).aspx

It is possible that the desktop.ini file for each of your "special" folders has been corrupted, or infected, so you might open each one up in notepad and see if it matches what Microsoft describes in the above-linked MSDN article.

Beyond that, have you done anything related to file permissions lately? It sounds like what's happened is that those files have either become associated with another username (i.e., not yours) or for some other reason your username access permissions have been changed so that you're no longer permitted to access the files.

That all could be the work of some bit of malware.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

When a user moves certain files (e.g., My Documents) from one system to another...access is often denied on the new system, even if it's the same user/owner.

But, this is easily overcome by following the suggestions at How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#6 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:12 PM

Ahh Thanks Louis, I'll add this to my collection.

#7 MyCompterSucks

MyCompterSucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

When a user moves certain files (e.g., My Documents) from one system to another...access is often denied on the new system, even if it's the same user/owner.

But, this is easily overcome by following the suggestions at How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

Yes that did it! thanks very much!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users