Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trace I.P address through MSN? Possible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

I have recently been talking to someone on MSN that I need to find out the location of. I have a chat history, transfered files through MSN and hotmail email from them. Unfortunatly I don't think I will get to talk to him again so my question is, is there any way I can now discover his I.P and find his location?
Another thought is that this was over a month ago and it's probably not a static that he has so would this info now be invalid anyway?
Any thoughts here to help would be appriciated. This is my son that I'm trying to trace after his mother left me and dissapeard with him 15 years ago. I recently got talking to him and were getting on great but I think his mother found out and trashed his PC.
Desperate for any ideas here if some of you boffs can think of any.
Many thanx

Phill.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:50 AM

Hi sparkyuiop,

What a painful problem. Does he have the information he needs to get back in touch with you if he wants to?

Zllio

#3 nospam

nospam

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 13 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

The only thing I can think of is you could get a law enforcement agency to submit a subpoena to Microsoft. Unfortunately this legal recourse would probably be a futile attempt because if the person was on a large ISP, the IPs he had used would not necessarily locate him geographically. Your other question about finding out after the fact, there is not away to figure out where he is after the fact that I know of.

Maybe in time he might contact you again. If he he emails you, you can definitely see his IP in the headers (assuming he doesn't use proxies on his end). I wish I had better information to offer you, your situation is sad to read about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users