Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Defender 2009

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 wiggey

wiggey

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

File Name: ugsaker.dll
Found in Windows/System32 directory

I am not sure where this file came from, but I had been downloading various
files from rapidshare. This seems to have been associated with WinDefender 2009,
a browser hijacker. I did not have any of the usual registry entries found with this virus,
nor did a manual & automated search find any of the WinDefender files that were reported
to be present with this hijacker.
Scans with Symantec, Spybot, AdAware, SpyDoctor, CCCleaner nor Windows Mechanic
detected any problems. It became so persistant that even after unplugging my cable modem,
using the computer was impossible.
Using a second computer I found a fix here on this site called 'SmitfraudFix' that
cured the virus immediately. Once again, NONE of the regular files associated with this
virus were found on my hard drive or in the registry. I was able to download the program to a
thumb drive, then transfer the thumb to my affected computer, plug it in, & SmitfraudFix did the rest.
I am fully aware of the dangers of downloading from sites such as RapidShare & others like it. In the past my
Symantec always stopped infected files before they had any effect, but not this time.
I wish to thank everyone here at BleepingComputer.com for having the info & the related program and
complete instructions required to stop & eliminate this hijacker from my computer.
My wishes to all for a happy & virus free holiday season.
wiggey

Edited by wiggey, 06 December 2008 - 04:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users