Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen of death rapidly occurs on my laptop computer

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 PapaPixels

PapaPixels

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

Hello Bleepingcomputer, I have had a problem recently with my laptop. I haven't used this computer in about three months because it mysteriously got the black screen of death when i was running superantispyware. Now, 3 months later, i turned it on and everything worked fine. However, when i opened firefox, the screen went black and the "backspace" sound kept repeating. I restarted the computer and went to kaspersky online scan. While updating, the computer screen went blank again (The computer was still on). I had to turn it off with the power switch which i hate to do. This problem even occured in a boot time scan on avast. I require assistance. Is this the cause of a possible virus. Im always super careful when using my laptop. Help me bleepingcomputer! Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

Hi PapaPixels,

So the only time the screen becomes black is when you run a security program?

#3 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

thats correct, whenever i run an SAS, avast, or kaspersky scan (online), i get the black screen. However, programs like MBAM or spybot search and destroy dont get the black screen. thanks so much for your replies

#4 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:50 AM

Hi,

Can you do a full scan with MBAM, and also do a scan with SAS? Post both logfiles in your next reply. :thumbsup:

#5 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

I ran an MBAM full scan and no results popped up. However, the black screen occurs about halfway through an SAS scan. Could you tell me the settings that i should have for an SAS full scan? I have turned off my laptop several times using the power button. Does going to safe mode fix it if the boot execute gets messed up? Uhh...also, the problem with the black screen started occuring after i upgraded the ram on my laptop. Could this be attributed to it? Thanks so much for helping. Do you still want the MBAM log even though it detected nothing? Also, what should i do since SAS cant run

#6 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

Hi,

What was your previous RAM?
And what is it now?
(Please tell the specs as detailed as is possible)

#7 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

My previous ram was 1 gig (2 512mb chips). I took one of them out and added a respective 2 gig chip. The laptop seemed to read the ram without difficulty. So, the ram is 2.5 gigs and the processor is 1.69 ghz. Do you need more info or is that enough? Once again, thank you so much

Oh and also, the computer also crashed (black screen with backspacing sound) when i opened a mozilla browser once

Would it be a good idea to try removing the 2 gig chip and putting back the 512 with the other 512

#8 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hi,

Yes you can try to take out the 2GB RAM, and replace the 512 MB RAM.
Does this solve the problem for now?

#9 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Im in the middle of something but i will try that later today. Could that be the actual cause of the black screen though? Cause note that the black screen occurs mostly in scans. If this doesnt solve the problem what should i do?

#10 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hi,

Yes, it could be the new RAM is the cause of your problems. But that's not 100% sure.
Just try it. If it doesn't help, please say it, and I'll help you again. :thumbsup:

#11 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

Ok thanks, I'll probably notify you of the results in a few hours. If i "balance" the ram and add another 2gig chip, could that help?

#12 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:56 PM

No, first try to remove the 2 GB and replace the 512 MB RAM> :thumbsup:

I don't know if I would reply to you today anymore. It's almost 7 PM here now, so maybe I already went to my bed when you replied. :flowers:

#13 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

Ok i see, its very nice of you to help me. I will post the results tomorrow in that case though.

#14 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

OK :thumbsup:

#15 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

hi superbird sorry for the delay. my computer is very unreliable now, as it sometimes crashes before a complete startup. this is a quick update to let you know that i am still working on the problem. i took out one of the 512 mb ram sticks leaving only the 2 gig one. the crashes did not stop so i decided to place back the two 512 mb sticks. the computer did not even start up after that. i am back to the original 2.49 gig setup. sometimes, when the computer starts up, windows tries to update which makes my computer freeze. btw, after i got the 2 gig ram stick and placed it into my laptop, i changed the paging values in control panel>system>advanced>performance>settings>advanced>virtual memory to a much higher value. would this be necessary? should i change this? thanks so much and i shall keep you posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users