Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

crashing/ed computer - Win XP pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gordonla

gordonla

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

I think my computer is dead but I thought I'd start here to see what you guys think. I've been having trouble with it since October and I thought I was managing it with SpyBot, Sophos, and Adaware but now the computer will not start Windows at all. Today I managed to get it started in command prompt/safe mode. Not sure of what, if anything, there is that I can do. It wouldn't be the end of the world if that PC died, but would prefer not to lose all the documents, etc. that are on that computer. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:52 PM

Start it in safemode.
Go to start run msconfig
Disable all startup programs
Go to start run services.msc
Disable all services that aren't listed as "Started"
Reenter it normally
Slowly add back services that you use until you discover which service/program was giving you startup probems.

#3 gordonla

gordonla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

And I can do this to figure out if a virus has messed up the files?

#4 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

If you can start it in safemode then most likely a malicious program/service is preventing you from starting it that is turned on in normal mode. Safemode starts with no programs and only minimal services. Leading me to conclude that it is either a malicious program or service that is causing the problem.

After you enter normal mode don't get on the internet. Use another computer to download Avast, AdAware, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy and do scans.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

If you have access to another computer...remove the hard drive and slave it to the 2d system...and then remove the data files, etc. which you are concerned about.

As for determining whether or not your system is infected: BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

#6 gordonla

gordonla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

Ok, I tried the above with disabling programs in safe mode but when I tried to start normally it would not boot. I know I'm infected b/c the computer stopped working right after spybot said it found some .tdss file. I clicked for it to fix the problem then I had to reboot the computer and that's when it stopped working. I appreciate you guys helping me out - what do you suggest I do next?

thanks!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

Make a new post at either the link I previously posted...or Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users