Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2: Digital Output

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rapscallion

Rapscallion

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

I was in the middle of playing WoW when my computer screen went into this wierd pattern of tie-dye pixelation that covered the whole screen and froze it. When I restarted my computer, it wnet straight into a black screen, and in the middle it said:

2 : Digital Output
Cannot Dispaly This Video Mode
Optimal Resolution 1280x1024 60Hz

It goes directly to this black screen, so I do not believe I can even access safe-mode. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem, please let me know !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

To me sounds like the card is actually fried. Do you know if it's intergrated or dedicated. ( did it come with a removable Video card, or just the intergrated one on the motherboard )
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 Rapscallion

Rapscallion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

It is the video card that come with the computer like 6 years ago, so I believe it's non-removable, the one on the motherboard : ( That's bad right? Heh.

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hi Rapscallion

Do you see any POST info before your PC boots?
Steve

#5 Rapscallion

Rapscallion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

No; it goes directly into that black screen w/ the Digital Output message.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

Have you allowed the system to cool thoroughly (hours) and tried again to see if it can start?

(Edit: Rest of post became irrelevant due to other information being posted while I typed... slowly)

Edited by Platypus, 06 December 2008 - 04:18 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

In that case it looks like your graphics adaptor has died.
Do you know for sure your graphics adapor is integrated on the motherboard?
Steve

#8 Rapscallion

Rapscallion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Yes, I have let it sit for a while before trying again, like 10 hours... and no. I don't know for sure if my video card is integrated with the motherboard.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

In almost all board designs, integrated video will have the video connector down among the other I/O sockets (serial/parallel ports, mouse/keyboard/modem sockets etc). A discrete video card will have the connector(s) in the row of removable backplates adjacent to the motherboard's PCI/AGP slots.

#10 Rapscallion

Rapscallion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

I don't know enough about computer to answer your question : ( There is a card in a blue incasing in the very bottom-left (looking into my computer from the right-side pannel which is taken off, which is one of two parallel to eachother, the one below it is empty). There is also a black card in the bottom-right which my speakers and all that junk plug into (is the sound / video?) which is right below the green card that my moniter is connected to...does that give you enough of a picture?

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

so I do not believe I can even access safe-mode.

Did you try to? Do you see the loading screen when you turn it on? Can you get into the BIOS to restore default settings?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Rapscallion

Rapscallion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

Yes, I tried F12 / F8 / F2 / ESC / DELETE, everything, it just goes straight to that black screen so I can't get into safemode of the setup screen.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

the green card that my moniter is connected to

That will be your video card, unless your system has an unusual multimedia accelerator or an older DVD decoder card.

It may look something like this one:

Posted Image

Does the connector the monitor goes to look like the blue VGA one on that card, or is it connected to a more complicated DVI one:

Posted Image

Since the monitor seems to be saying Digital (which would suggest it wants DVI), if it's actually connected to a VGA socket, the monitor might just be set to the wrong input, and you may need to reselect VGA source in the Monitor's own menu or with a control panel input selector button.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:50 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#15 Rapscallion

Rapscallion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, I had to go to work : / That's my video card! The connector looks like the complicated DVI one (the white one)...I can't access the monitor menu, I press the button and nothing happens!

It's a Dell Pentium 4 Windows XP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users